Englander 25EP Convection Blower Whining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug

Nov 15, 2011
northern Michigan
I have a new Englander 25EP, that is less than 2 months old, which has developed a whine coming from the convection blower. Changing blower speed sometimes temporarily eliminates the noise. Other times it doesn't. It is more noticable at higher speeds. Has anyone had a simular problem ? Is there a simple fix ? Can the fan be lubricated ? Other than the whine, the stove has performed flawlessly.

There is probably oiling ports on the motor, as shown in the photos below. There may or may not be the yellow plugs in the oil holes, and it's also possible that the motor/blower assembly got assembled so the oil holes are on the bottom.....if so, it's best to remove the whole unit and rotate the motor so the holes are facing up.

Use 20w non-detergent oil (not motor oil!) like 3 in 1. If you can find it at the hardware store, 3 in 1 in the blue can is specifically made for electric motors:

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 617
  • ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 464
I have 2 of the room air blowers and I have replaced the bearings with the best skf bearings I could find and I think this will work fine now.The bearings that come with the motor are really cheap. You can also get a Dayton 1tdp5 blower motor, I have run this motor as a spare and works really good but I'm testing the new bearings in the old motor now.

Good Luck!

My old 25epi had the same problem when new. A quick call to Enlander had a new one to me a few days later. Best of all I had the old one as an emergency spare in case of a seized motor.

I called them as well and they did send me a new motor that lasted 2 weeks (the bearings that is started to whine)
Thats why I had puchased the dayton motor.
The bearings in the 2 motors from England stove are cheap singapore bearings and the grease was coming out
and thats at heat setting 1
Everything seems to be good with the SKF bearings
England stove service is really good though! I do recommend their products, nothing is perfect!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.