Englander 25PDV squealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
timtreva said:
My Harman P38 started to squeal about three months after installation. The squeal was high pitched, like a dog whine, and occurred when the pellets were feeding. At first it only happened after the stove warmed up, but later would squeal every time the auger started turning.
I had been pretty regular about cleaning and scraping, but after reading the advice on this forum I really went to town with the scraper, a screwdriver and the shop vac. I also nudged the auger end slightly with the screwdriver, as someone has posted above. Dumped in some pellets, fired it up and almost immediately squeeeaaaaak.
So I tried the powdered graphite trick described above. Within about five minutes the squeak was completely gone. I'm sitting in front of it now, on turbo mode and it's running like new. For about two bucks the squeak is gone, and I've got a completely cleaned stove to boot.
Thanks to all on this great website!

I would just like to take a moment and thank everyone who has shared thier experiences. My P38 is the only source of heat currently along with a few electric heaters in remote far spots in the house. Yesterday I cleaned out the P38 as I often do to keep it running as effeciently as possible. This morning when I woke up, I heard this high pitch squeal coming from the Harmon. Then noticed it only comes on when the feed auger turns on. I was a bit paniced, as just as luck would have it, I was thinking I would have to pull the stove apart and figure out what was going on. My dealer who I purchased the
P38 from has now been out of business for two years.

Harmon has no support number to call.

I found this fourm via google, read a few short posts and said, it's can't be this easy. Sure enough, the graphite coated pellets did the trick.

I emptied the hopper, took a gallon sized zip lock back, put a few cups of pellets, a couple squirts of dry graphite powder, and almost instantly, the squealing went away. WOW, and if wasn't for you kind folks out here, I would have been pulling the stove down on a 25 degree day.

NAPA sells dry graphite, I didn't even try sears hardware of one of the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

This is a long post, and I appologize for that, but I am truely greatful !!!! Again, thank you to all.

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.