Englander 28-3500 vs. U.S. Stove Co. Hot Blast Furnace - - - Comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satchel

Mar 30, 2011
Kentucky
New here, but a longtime lurker....

Does anyone have any experience with either one of these models? Pro/ Cons?? Ideas that I should think about.

I'm looking to replace my old inefficent Wonderwood stove located in my basement with a furnace that I can tap into my current duct work.
Home is two story with 3200 sq ft combined, and well insulated. My current wood stove does and ok job but it isnt centrally located in conjunction with the home and I would like to distribute the heat more evenly throughout the home. Also, I'm looking for longer burn times so that I can reduce or eliminate the usage of the gas furnace.

Hi Satchel. You are definately in the right place. Give it just a little time and you will have an abundance of good advice to mull over. Most will say if you can swing it, spend the extra for a more efficient furnace. You are probably pushing the limits of either of those stoves that you have looked at. I can tell you the 28-3500 is pretty well made and makes great heat for the price. The more efficient stoves should use less wood and burn cleaner. Keep in mind that not all furnaces require the same size chimney. Very important for proper performance and can be very expensive to install. Whatever you do, research well and install correctly. Good luck.

Thanks- I did fail to mention that my flue/chimney set up is a 6" pipe in to a block chimney w/ a clay liner; 22 feet tall w/ 3 ft clearance above the highest peak of the house...no draft problems at all.

I think with time you will get more responses. Longer burn times will require a furnace with at least a secondary burn or a CAT reburn. Also, consider that with a furnace you are heating the whole house as opposed to the limited area a stove has by nature. Maybe try a google search "EPA approved wood furnace".

You should at least look at the Caddy furnaces before you cheap out. You may find one in stock somewhere local that someone will make a deal on. Burns less wood, built better, chimney stays cleaner. If you cant afford a better branded EPA Furnace, I'd go to the Englander. At least with them when you have a problem you get good over the phone service from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.