Englander 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MALogger

Feb 27, 2006
Foxboro, MA
www.csmforest.com
Don't everyone yell at me, I know it's not a water boiler but it hooks into your forced hot air ducts! I was wondering if anyone has one or knows someone with one and how well it works?

Thanks,

Craig

Wouldn't dream of yelling at you. For my part, this section should be named 'Big heavy woodburning things that heat the whole house from the basement or outside', but they decided on 'The Boiler Room' instead.

Sorry - no experience with that model. I did have a central woodburning hot air furnace years ago, but I doubt that experience is relevant. It did work pretty well, though. I remember making one-way dampers in the ductwork so that the oil furnace wouldn't blow backward through the wood furnace, and vice versa.

nofossil said:
Wouldn't dream of yelling at you. For my part, this section should be named 'Big heavy woodburning things that heat the whole house from the basement or outside', but they decided on 'The Boiler Room' instead.

Sorry - no experience with that model. I did have a central woodburning hot air furnace years ago, but I doubt that experience is relevant. It did work pretty well, though. I remember making one-way dampers in the ductwork so that the oil furnace wouldn't blow backward through the wood furnace, and vice versa.

I was reading the manual online for that model and there was mention of a damper to block the duct of thge wood furnace for that reason!

Craig

MALogger said:
nofossil said:

I was reading the manual online for that model and there was mention of a damper to block the duct of thge wood furnace for that reason!

I have one brother who lives in Lyndonville vt and one in Weathersfield vt. Either of those places close to you?

Craig

The Boiler Room is just a catchy title for our central heating forum. Couldn't resist when Brother Bart suggested it. Everyone is welcome here.

Good to see you again, Craig. Tough summer for the industry, but it looks like you're hanging in there.

We have a couple of guys on this board who work for Englander (Corey is the new head of R&D;), and I'm sure they'll be along before long with some guidance.

whoops , sorry, didnt see this til just now, i put this post in the hearth room thread a bit ago , hope this helps ya:

i put one in my dads house last fall, the beast heats his whole house (3600 sq ft including basement) the ducting on the house is perfect for this type unit though , central trunks , vertical runs of ducting to upper floors with returns around outside of house to 2 main returns to the furnace. makes for a nice convection current , blower for the stove actually works well enough that the whole house furnace fan seldom is needed. we pulled a 1977 englander step up add on to install this , as a footnote , that unit heated the house well also from the time it was installed until the replacement last fall, stove has no warpage at all and even the origional bricks are still in great shape.

Eric Johnson said:
The Boiler Room is just a catchy title for our central heating forum. Couldn't resist when Brother Bart suggested it. Everyone is welcome here.

Good to see you again, Craig. Tough summer for the industry, but it looks like you're hanging in there.

We have a couple of guys on this board who work for Englander (Corey is the new head of R&D;), and I'm sure they'll be along before long with some guidance.

Hi Eric,

I am hanging in there barely! These fuel prices are killing me!
Elk was over my house looking at my situation yesterday and he mentioned an englander nc-30 then I was looking on their website I noticed the add on unit. Where the stove is in relation to my gas burner/ductwork it would be fairly easy hookup. Not to mention it's only $300 more and would pump heat through the whole house.

Craig

stoveguy2esw said:
whoops , sorry, didnt see this til just now, i put this post in the hearth room thread a bit ago , hope this helps ya:

i put one in my dads house last fall, the beast heats his whole house (3600 sq ft including basement) the ducting on the house is perfect for this type unit though , central trunks , vertical runs of ducting to upper floors with returns around outside of house to 2 main returns to the furnace. makes for a nice convection current , blower for the stove actually works well enough that the whole house furnace fan seldom is needed. we pulled a 1977 englander step up add on to install this , as a footnote , that unit heated the house well also from the time it was installed until the replacement last fall, stove has no warpage at all and even the origional bricks are still in great shape.

Hi Mike,

The add on looks like a really well built unit and the location of my stove would make it a pretty easy hookup. I just need to find the money to buy it, it has been a tough year for me!
Thanks for the info!

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.