Englander 30 clearance concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyokie

Feb 15, 2011
southwest CT
heres some pics of my install. on the front right side of the stove the wood corner column like trim is getting pretty damned hot. the paint hasnt bubbled but you can see its dried it and seperated the joint a bit. looking at the available heat shield it only extended half forward from the back of the stove and probably wont solve my issue. thought of haveing one made that would extend all the way to the front with maybe a leg for support? ideas?

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 631
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 594
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 571
Wonder what would happen if you just rotated the whole shebang so that it is diagonal in that corner.

oh possibly could a maybe half a foot of so, to the left of the hearth pad is doorway to kitchen so cant swing it too far without impeding the doorway

What are the measurements for the clearances as your stove sits now?

Do they meet the specifications listed in the manual for the stove?

-SF

ya clearance spec in manual is 20" on sides im right on 20" exactly

its funny the heat shields according to the manual only reduce clearance to 19". 100 bucks for 1" clearance i think cancel the shields

Tape a meat thermometer to the wall leaving. IIRC 70 degrees above ambient is max. May be just cracking due to drying, low humidity that close to the stove.

I think that is 90 degrees above ambient or typically 170F.

nyokie, the wood joints are drying out. I'd put up a simple wall shield that extends 6" above the stove top. You can buy these premade or make your own and install with 1" spacers to maintain an air gap behind the shield.

great ill check the temp on it as its pretty hot to the touch, dont mind the wood drying out but dont want fire outside the fire box :eek:

That's a serious heater. I'd run it with the rear and side shields for sure. Then add a wall shield if it is getting too hot for comfort.

Yeah the side shields won't help with the front half of the firebox but they set up some serious convection. When I had them on the 30 in the fireplace the convection air drawn up would blow out a Bic lighter.

cool they sent me the wrong shields, they are for the 13, ill exchanged them for the right ones and if temps are too high ill throw a wall shield up like temp removable during the summer kinda setup

At some point I would think about making a flush hearth so not to impead traffic through the door and see if that thing could be turned toward the room.

BeGreen said:
I think that is 90 degrees above ambient or typically 170F.

nyokie, the wood joints are drying out. I'd put up a simple wall shield that extends 6" above the stove top. You can buy these premade or make your own and install with 1" spacers to maintain an air gap behind the shield.

+10 on that wall shield,simple, efficient and effective.

adding a wall shield either metal or 1/2 inch millboard (durarock or equivalent) would allow a reduction in clearance to 12 inches if installed with a 1 inch airspace between the shield and the wall. to meet code it must be physically attached to the wall though a freestanding shield doesnt cut it code wise to achieve that close a clearance. however , since the stove is installed with the required unprotected clearance the code question is moot so you could use a removable shield as added protection IMHO

I am no expert but are you sure you want that 90 degree angle at the top. Would it not be better to shorten stack and go with a less angle than a 90 degree. Just wondering I always heard a 90 degree angle was not what you want.

While we are on the subject, please take that stuff off of those shelves while the stove is burning.

haha done that was a bag of starter cardboard i no longer need, now just use 2 sticks of fatwood after i clean the stove and she is ripping at 450 to 500 cruise in no time. its actually a window alcove bench probably a good 3 ft from the stove

HighHeat22 said:
I am no expert but are you sure you want that 90 degree angle at the top. Would it not be better to shorten stack and go with a less angle than a 90 degree. Just wondering I always heard a 90 degree angle was not what you want.
I actually hat to run a 90 and a 45 to get out the room in the tight space, but she seems to draft fine. gets a little puff back when loading but from reading here the 30 is bad about that by nature. my intrepid never puffed back when top loading, with the same exact pipe route

stoveguy2esw said:
adding a wall shield either metal or 1/2 inch millboard (durarock or equivalent) would allow a reduction in clearance to 12 inches if installed with a 1 inch airspace between the shield and the wall. to meet code it must be physically attached to the wall though a freestanding shield doesnt cut it code wise to achieve that close a clearance. however , since the stove is installed with the required unprotected clearance the code question is moot so you could use a removable shield as added protection IMHO
thanks for the reply, i put a thermometer of the white trim board where it felt hot and so far i havent seen over 95 degrees. so looks like paranoia and your wall clearances in the manual are just fine. will continue to keep an eye on it and throw protection up if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.