Englander 30 - FINALLY Installed!!! (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I had been a lurker here for years now. This past winter I became absolutely determined to find a way to install a woodstove in our house and started asking questions. It has proven to be QUITE the challenge! Our house was absolutely not meant to have a woodstove in the traditional sense. The only way to do it was to find a close clearance stove and install it in the corner of our dining room, then pipe the flue through the 2nd bedroom, then out the dormer in that bedroom.

Well after almost 4 months, its finally complete!!! It started in March when the Englander 30's went on sale at Home Depot for $600. It ended last night when the town's building inspector came over.

The inspector was a really annoying. No personality at all and picky just for the sake of being picky. He insisted that the outlet of the chimney wasn't high enough even though it is. Its actually 2.5 feet above the peak which is 7 feet away. Then he wanted me to move the stove forward a half inch "just because he'd like it to be further from the wall". I wasn't going to argue...I just wanted him to approve it and get out of there, which is exactly what he did.

Oh and yes I tested it last night :) I burnt some wood scraps that had been lying around from the install. Considering it was 85 degrees out, it got pretty warm in there...

Anyways...as promised...Pictures!!!!

I'll post a photo of it poking through the roof when I get home!

Great Job the install looks great! Make sure you put a register at the top and bottom of the chimney chase and you will be surprised at the amount of heat you get out of them from the chimney.

certified106 said:
Great Job the install looks great! Make sure you put a register at the top and bottom of the chimney chase and you will be surprised at the amount of heat you get out of them from the chimney.

I was thinking about doing something like that. The only thing that concerns me is cold air coming in when the chimney is not in operation. Since I am venting out of a dormer, wont cold air be able to come in through the vents in the flashing? Wont it also suck hot air out of the house?

Very cool install.

BurnIt13 said:
certified106 said:

I was thinking about doing something like that. The only thing that concerns me is cold air coming in when the chimney is not in operation. Since I am venting out of a dormer, wont cold air be able to come in through the vents in the flashing? Wont it also suck hot air out of the house?

Sorry, I didn't notice that it was unsealed along the ceiling line where the chimney goes into the attic so now that you pointed that out scratch my idea. I have my chimney going up through the ceiling in my second floor bedroom but it has the metal spacer plate through the drywall so there aren't any air leaks.

Great job on the stove, hearth and chimney install! You'll be much warmer this winter now..

Ray

Congrats, that's a sharp install !

And, I think you are going to love that stove !!

Always love seeing the bad boy looking good. But just have to ask why you didn't face it out into the room? A bunch of the heat from the 30 is right out of that glass addressing its audience.

Realizing that it would require an elbow up to the ceiling box for that chimney install.

When I see a corner install with the stove parallel to the wall it gets me asking the same question. Is there something in the room layout that we are not seeing?

BeGreen said:
When I see a corner install with the stove parallel to the wall it gets me asking the same question. Is there something in the room layout that we are not seeing?

looks great! love your framing work on the chase looks excellent!

u know i was thinking of placing my stove at a angle in the corner also, but my wife wanted it facing the coutch so she could watch it as she was watching the tv.

i dont know tho i thin k we would still get a view of the fire from a angle. so who knows.

I like the hearth. Looks good.

BeGreen said:

Good question! The reason the stove is parallel to the wall is two-fold. :)

First, this room being the dining room...the stove would point directly at the dining room table. The corner install clearances aren't as good as the rear clearances....it would have taken up too much room in the dining room. I would have pushed the dining table too far to the opposite corner to maintain proper clearances. The table would have been way too close to the kitchen door.
Second, if it was a corner install it would face a fairly closed off corner of the room. As a paralell install, it faces the most open part of the room and also points towards the living room and upstairs staircase.

Had I had a bigger budget I could have picked a slightly dimensionally smaller stove with better corner clearances so I could have a corner install. But a 3.5 cubic foot stove for $600 was hard to beat!!!

I have to take my hat off to carpenters, roofers, and stove installers. I bit off way more than I would normally chew! Being a 110 year old house there wasn't a single level surface or square corner to work with. What I thought would take me a couple of weeks ended up taking three and a half months!!!

Nice job. Looks great. I have a very similar situation on my hands. I have wanted a wood stove for years. My house like yours just does not have a good spot for a wood stove. So I am locating mine in my dining room. I am also going through a second floor bedroom and facing my stove like you did in order to get better clearances. I know I have said this before but I will have some pics soon. I got the hearth done and my Woodstock Keystone siting on it. I have four cords of wood seasoning and all I need now is to have the prefab chimney installed.

Looking at the fire in your new stove makes me happy! I also am looking forward to that 1st evening glow :) congratulations!

BeGreen said:

Yah, me too...why not turn it open into the room?

My 30 is cornered looking right at my dining room table? Not even my most better than me family haven't said a bad word about it. Lol Plus it's nice to watch light show while eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.