Englander 30 or 13??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
joecool85 said:
**edit**
Also, stoves are more efficient wide open, much less efficient when damped down to put out less heat.

I'm not sure that this is true at all. At wide open throttle, much more heat is escaping up the stack instead of radiating to the room. That would equate to a loss of efficiency. Also, at WOT there is typically more particulates that go up the stack. That equates to fuel. This is just my rambling thoughts, but I am ready to learn.

The damper can stay open all the time, just control the heat with the intake air control. When you turn it down, the fire can start to smolder instead of getting a nice clean burn with secondary burning etc.

Can one of you Englander gurus tell me why they post the following in the on-line 13-NC owners manual.

Clearances... single wall pipe, no rear heat shield, back of stove to wall: 10"
double wall pipe, heat shields installed, back of stove to wall: 12"

I read it twice, that's what it says. Something can't be right with those numbers. Next clearance, flue outlet to wall, same thing....single wall pipe/no shields is a closer number than double wall/with shields.

Now i'll go look at the 30.

Frostbit said:
Can one of you Englander gurus tell me why they post the following in the on-line 13-NC owners manual.

Clearances... single wall pipe, no rear heat shield, back of stove to wall: 10"
double wall pipe, heat shields installed, back of stove to wall: 12"

I read it twice, that's what it says. Something can't be right with those numbers. Next clearance, flue outlet to wall, same thing....single wall pipe/no shields is a closer number than double wall/with shields.

Now i'll go look at the 30.

That comes up a couple of times every year. The clearance numbers come from the lab results doing the UL standards testing. For some reason that stove with that configuration required greater clearance with the double wall pipe than it did with single wall. And Mike at ESW verified it a couple of years ago. The "no rear heat shield" thing is irrelevant now that the stove comes standard with the heat shield welded on the back of it.

30/50 is manual appears correct. Closer clearances for double wall/ shields.

joecool85 said:
The damper can stay open all the time, just control the heat with the intake air control.

Not owning an englander - what damper are you referring to? I only see one air control on the stove and no reference to a pipe damper in the discussion.

Jags said:
joecool85 said:
The damper can stay open all the time, just control the heat with the intake air control.

Not owning an englander - what damper are you referring to? I only see one air control on the stove and no reference to a pipe damper in the discussion.

I'm referring to the damper in your chimney, not on the stove. It use to be on every wood stove install, now it's not at all as common.

I have the 13 and love it, but if I had the room in my little house, I would go for the 30, just due to being able to stuff more wood in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.