Englander 30NC Flue Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pabutler

May 18, 2015
West Chester,Pa
Hi all - I am about to install an Englander 30 NCH inside of a masonry fireplace. I am hoping to get suggestions regarding the flue liner. The chimney is 14' 9.5" from the floor of the fireplace (firebrick) to the top of the Clay flue tile (11" x 11"). So, subtracting the 29" in height of the stove,
leaves me with 12' 4.5" from the top of the stove to the top of the clay chimney tile. I want to end up as close to 15' as is possible. My thoughts are to start with a 45 degree elbow on top of the stove then connect to 6" diameter flex pipe to the top of the clay flue tiles. Any suggestions on the manufacturer of flex flue liner ? Insulated ? Thoughts on the 3' of stainless steel solid pipe that will need to extend above the clay flue tile and how to go about attaching the flex to the solid pipe ? Thanks in advance, Craig

Insulated ?
Yes
Thoughts on the 3' of stainless steel solid pipe that will need to extend above the clay flue tile and how to go about attaching the flex to the solid pipe ?
it needs to be insulated class a chimney. There are adapter plates available to do the transition with

I would also recommend a insulated liner to an anchor plate then a 3 section of double wall insulated class a pipe with cap.
The England NC30 is a work horse that's highly recommended by many members here, I myself would recommend one after helping install one at my friends. The NC30 is a heavy breather, your at the low end of chimney height for a good draft so the insulated liner will help by keeping flue gases warmer. The extra 3ft of pipe will also improve draft.
I would also recommend a block off plate with fire proof insulation on top of the plate, this will keep the majority of heat the stove produces in the fire box area so the blower can push it into the living space.

With the 30-NC, as with any fireplace free standing stove, a block off plate is a must. Also it needs a slight slope from the back to the front ending with the front of the block off plate even with the lintel at the front of the fireplace opening. This lets heat rising off of the stove naturally roll out into the living space.

Also you have to consider that if you install it with a blower, that blower is trapped behind 500 pounds of stove and anchored to the chimney liner. Any cleaning of the blower, which is regularly needed, means unhooking the liner and pulling out the stove. That is why a dead blower has been sitting back there behind my 30-NC for eight years. I knew what could happen going in and it happened. Not an issue if you have a HUGE fireplace. I just don't happen to have one.

Another issue is attaching the liner to the stove flue collar. In most normal fireplace installations it is going to require installing a 15 or 30 degree fixed stainless steel elbow to the liner, moving the stove into the fireplace and then lowering the liner/elbow into the flue collar. Do not under any circumstances uses a black pipe adjustable elbow. They are junk in that application. They leak, rust, burn out and have to be replaced too often.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your heater and here's yer shirt:

englander t shirt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.