englander 55shp basement install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blizzard56

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2010
ct.
Have another question for everyone. The more that I look at my basement install I have to make changes. I will be increasing my vent to 4" but as I am watching this blizzard cause drifts by the basement casement window I have to go vertical again after going through window. Vent would be as follows, cleanout tee at stove, 4' vert., 90, 2' horiz. to go through window, then cleanout tee again then 1-2' vert. and finally vert. cap. total evl is not bad but I am concerned with the 2-tees and the 90. I have no other choice. I can dig below window but it would probably fill up anyways. There is no other location that I can put this thing. Any advice appreciated.

U cant go up and out through the band board between floor joists?

Blizzard, although you state that the "total EVL is not bad", even though you are upsizing to 4" pipe, the rule of thumb for pellet stoves is no more than (2) 90 degree turn in any vent set-up, and you have 3. (2-90 degree T's, and 1 90 degree elbow).

It may work, but it's borderline. Also, the "1-2’ vert." of outside the window is absolute bare minimum....the cap is supposed to be a minimum of 2' above dirt/grass, and even at that, some sort of non-combustible material should be put underneath.

BTW, is this basement finished & insulated?

I definately will have a tee at stove,4' vert to a 90 then 2' horiz. to go out the window. I would be just under the 15' evl for the 3" but not high enough from ground, so I decided to go with the 4" and when I go through the window put another tee and 1-ft. pc. up with vertical cap and I should be ok with any dirt/grass snow issue.I have no problem putting stone down if need be. On simpson's site they do show a vertical,horizontal,vertical installation using 2 tees and a 90. not to say it makes it right but this seems to be my only option, if not this stove has to go bye bye. My basement is finished and insulated. When I come through the center of window opening I am already a little over a ft. above ground, so the tee and either the 1' or i can get a 2' pc. and should be fine. My basement is pretty much buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.