Englander blower just went out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

packerfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
frozen tundra
I was just sitting here reading the boards, and I went to adjust my stove, and noticed the room air blower was out. The stove was pretty darn hot (and still is)

I have an englander 25 pdv and was wondering if anyone knows if the blower is available from grainger. I would probably be better off going through them for a new one, if thats what I need, as I can always stop to get a new one on the way home from work if it is something that grainger may carry. If anyone knows the part # I would appreciate it. Thanks

Check your manual. Mine has every single part listed.

hi dan,

the part number for the blower will depend on the manufacture date, if you check the manual you should find the part number will be either pu-4c442 for stoves 2001 and older, and pu-4c447 for 2002 and newer

Hi There,

I have a Breckwell P23 that does the same thing. I called the dealer and they told me to shut it down and unplug it. This will reset the control board. After I do this, it seems to be ok until I run out of pellets or do something that interupts the control boards function.

Anyhow, it does help when I unplug and reset everything. Give it a try.

I don't know about englanders but this is what my breckwell will do:

If I overfire it (i.e. the stove gets too hot) a sensor will trip. When that happens:

1) The room air blower shuts off.
2) The pellets stop feeding
3) The combustion blower continues to run
4) The stove will get very hot initially due to the room air blower being shut down
5) The stove starts to cool off when the flame goes out.
6) After about 1/2 hour the stove will cool enough for the sensor to trip back, and the room blower starts once again, and runs until the stove is completely cooled down.

Don't know if that happened to yours or not but that's my experience with mine. It's a safety design of the system, it protects the stove from getting too hot and burning down the house, and also protects the room air blower from getting too hot as well.

I've been running the stove on lower settings, so I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating issue. I'm also sure that it is not a case of the stove being too cold for the blower to run as well.

The blower has shut off a couple of more times since I first posted this thread. It seems weird that it seems to come back on after a few minutes (5-10 min) after it shuts off.

If anyone has an idea what the issue may be, I'd be interested in what ya think!

Control board? Blower itself? Something else?

By any chance does the motor on that blower have its own thermal protection device?

Some motors will shut down due to over heated bearings and will restart after they have cooled down enough.

This would not have to be a control unit thing or a sensor that the stove manufacturer installed, it would be one that the blower motor folks built into their motor.

packerfan said:
I've been running the stove on lower settings, so I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating issue. I'm also sure that it is not a case of the stove being too cold for the blower to run as well.

The blower has shut off a couple of more times since I first posted this thread. It seems weird that it seems to come back on after a few minutes (5-10 min) after it shuts off.

If anyone has an idea what the issue may be, I'd be interested in what ya think!

check the "air on temp" setting on the bottom right of the board , press the button and look in the blower speed, if its not set on 1 use the blower down button to lower it. you must adjust it within 5 seconds of pushing the button, if not you will just be changing the blower speed.

the "air on temp" button setting determines what temperature your heat sensor must be at for the blower to run, if the stove drops below that limit the blower stops, then the stove heats up and it comes back on, if the air on temp is too high this could happen on low heat ranges.

stoveguy2esw said:
packerfan said:

check the "air on temp" setting on the bottom right of the board , press the button and look in the blower speed, if its not set on 1 use the blower down button to lower it. you must adjust it within 5 seconds of pushing the button, if not you will just be changing the blower speed.

the "air on temp" button setting determines what temperature your heat sensor must be at for the blower to run, if the stove drops below that limit the blower stops, then the stove heats up and it comes back on, if the air on temp is too high this could happen on low heat ranges.

The air on temp is as always set at 1, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Is it possibly a heat sensor problem, or as was mentioned in an above post, a problem with bearings getting too hot?

packerfan said:
stoveguy2esw said:
ok just checking, sometimes folks accidentally hit the wrong button and adjust without noticing. is it still doing this?

Yes it is. I noticed it this morning, and it happened again tonight.

is it random ,or regular. also how old is the unit? have you pulled and serviced the blower in the past if its a couple years old , sometimes the blower and the motor can get loaded up and this can cause the blower to overheat internally and stop til it cools down. pretty simple to pull it and blow it out , if you blow out the blades though (squirrel cage) do not spin the cage with high pressure air it can easily damage the bearings. let me know how you make out

stoveguy2esw said:
packerfan said:
stoveguy2esw said:
ok just checking, sometimes folks accidentally hit the wrong button and adjust without noticing. is it still doing this?

Yes it is. I noticed it this morning, and it happened again tonight.

is it random ,or regular. also how old is the unit? have you pulled and serviced the blower in the past if its a couple years old , sometimes the blower and the motor can get loaded up and this can cause the blower to overheat internally and stop til it cools down. pretty simple to pull it and blow it out , if you blow out the blades though (squirrel cage) do not spin the cage with high pressure air it can easily damage the bearings. let me know how you make out

It seems random to me. The unit is an oct 2006 model, and I've only burned it a year.
I'll try pulling the blower and hitting it with some air tomorrow, hopefully that helps.

I'm also going to see if it makes a difference with the fan speed I have it set at.

Just thought that I would like to say that I tried out what Mike suggested and things have been going fine now with my blower. In the last couple of days since I blew out the motor it seems to be running just fine, and has not shut off at all.

After I pulled the motor, I was surprised to see that there was hardly any dust on/in it at all but blowing it out seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the helpful info Mike!

Hi,

Did anyone reach a conclusion on the blower shutting off?

I have a BIS Nova fireplace (wood burner), and my blower cycles on and off when its hot. I wonder if my blower has a thermal protection device in it that opens when it gets hot.

Problem is the blower does this during a normal burns, so my blower is cycling on-off every time I put a moderate wood load in there...

I've contacted the dealer and factory...just wondering if anyone's run into the same issue...

Thanks, Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.