Englander Help!! Klinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pboughen

Dec 18, 2019
Honda2007
Good morning. I have an Englander pdvc 25. I bought a house with it last year. It ran ok last year, but i have been trying to fine turn the stove. I am experiencing the glass hazing in about 5 hours, also heavy klinkers about 3 inches high by width of the burn pot. I am currently running at 4-5-1 in the D mode. I was running at 3-8-1, but it was very dirty also. Just wanted to see if you could shine some light and get this running smooth. I am running summer set pellets. My set is one 45 elbow out of back of stove, them 2ft to thimble and another 45. Then about 10 ft to top of pipe through the roof.
Thanks
Patrick

Doc has it right! Put a couple 1" magnets covering your air holes, under your burn plate, on the right and left walls of your burner box. This will direct more air under your pellets. My glass stays clean for more than 2 days now and ash is a fine powder that I scoop twice a day to make more room for new ash. I get about a coffee cup full of ash per day running 24/7 What pellets are you burning?

Reactions: BackDoc
BTW, I run 141 and set heat on 5 air 5 running on a thermostat. Set it and forget it. Just like that chicken cooker you can buy from Ron Popiel. Was 10deg outside this am and my house was 72deg used just over a half bag from 9p-6a.

Thank you, I will try the magnetic trick. It definitely seems to be a air issue. Its just the fun of fine tuning it!!! I use summer set pellets which supposedly are really good. I don't have an OAK if that matter at all.

Try the magnets. If that does not work, might want to think about an OAK. ESW does recommend it.

Rascal when was the last time the stove was completely cleaned? Impingment plate removed brushed, vacuumed? Remove combustion blower and cleaned out? Or leaf blower cleaned?

Reactions: Pellet rick
Rascal when was the last time the stove was completely cleaned? Impingment plate removed brushed, vacuumed? Remove combustion blower and cleaned out? Or leaf blower cleaned?
About a week ago I pulled plates, vacuum, brushed. Also use a small piece of of hose with vacuum to get in tight spaces. Leaf blowered beginning of season.

I would do the leaf blower again and see if it helps. If the pellets are burning dirty you may have to clean more often.

I agree with Ssyko. It sounds like a dirty stove. Make sure to get the space behind the impingement plate. You need a small tube shoved down the small hole all the way to where the burn pot is. Also did you change pellet brands. Also check for air leaks around the door

If you can install the OAK, i'd recommend it and Just in case you didn't already know, your 3/8/1 setting will only have impacts on heat ranges 1 and 2.

Not sure for your stove, but you may want to double check the exhaust doesn't need to be 4" diameter, given the elbows/length.

Reactions: Ssyko
I just picked up a 2005 model 25-pdvc and the fine adjustments for sure have a effect on heat ranges 1,2 and 3 maybe the older stoves the 3 buttons at the bottom have more of a scale that adjusts the higher heat settings somewhat. But it is very evident on this 25-pdv that the bottom 3 buttons also adjust the #3 heat setting

Currently I'm running the bottom 3 at 3-6-1 in d mode. I'm just playing with the low heat settings to see if it will burn and put out heat in heat tangles 1 and 2.

From Mike Holten englanders stove guru
Aka stoveguy2esw

Thanks , I have read through the posts before and was surprised to find that heat range 3 is also impacted by the bottom 3 buttons.

I measured pellet consumption along with heat output. And indeed #3 is effected.