1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Englander into a masonry chimney

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jssls, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jssls

jssls New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I am looking at venting a Englander 25-pdvc into a masonry chimney. Total vent distance would be about 24'. Can I vent directly into my chimney or do I need a liner?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

whats the flue diameter? answer will depend on that.
  3. jssls

jssls New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    The chimney is a standard tile lined chimney approximately 8" square. I would have to climb up the get the exact measurement. It has an 8" thimble also.
  4. stoveguy2esw

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    that length and diameter , you should probably install a liner, with that big a flue its gonna be hard to maintain flue temps. i'd be more comfortable with a 6" but 8 inch or bigger (with an 8" thimble you will be 8 or bigger) especially with 24 ft of flue , i just dont see it working as well as it would with a 4" liner.
  5. jssls

jssls New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Thanks for the info. Is it correct to assume the same would apply to a 25-PDVC model as well? By the way, what is the BTU output of the 25-PDV and the 25-PDVC? I might need to change my plans due to dimensional issues. Thanks.
  6. stoveguy2esw

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    yes, while a 6" flue at that length may have worked well, an 8X8 is just too big for either unit.
  7. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    Installation manuals say no more than 6 inches round or 28 square inches. Even 6 inch square would be too large.
  8. stoveguy2esw

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    yeah , youre right , i was saying 6 Inch but didnt specify round , which is what mine is hooked to at 14 ft. it will work with that as it has for 3 winters in my hookup. actually it probably would in a single story chimney with square but at 24 ft it would be hard to keep the flue tiles hot. this could lead to creosote buildup as moisture present could liquify. 8X8 is definately too big.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.