Englander jamming in vertical shaft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as you plug it in your fingers need to be on those 2 buttons
ok now it came up with the letter c
Any specific details when it started happening? After a power outage? After you changed a motor or fixed something? After you opened up a new skid of pellets? Anything?
no power outages that i know of or can remember. I had a couple of bad bags of pellets and returned them to the store. got another 5-10 bags though to finish up the year and then right away when I started this winter I couldn't get through more than 2-4 bags without a jam. It's been that way since December

Set it to D to try it. D is the factory setting

I have to correct myself here.. c is the facrory mode on pdv.. i was thing it was pdvc.. but either way try it in D. If it doesnt jam then great. It just means it wont run as hottttt

Wonder if it's a board issue.. Try timing the upper auger to see if it's not cycling too much

Kinda what i am thinking but im not sure if all modes would be affected???

Or if it's somehow in A or B mode and feeding to fast

See i cant really comment on that statement. But i will say this, A is like burning a candle in mine. And C is the hottest mode. I shouldnt post this here but i will anyways. Too many changes thru the years.

Hello

Did you "Pimp Your Augers" ?

See my pics and info.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...-little-auger-burs-pimp-my-auger-pics.102423/
Upgrade bearing gasket
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...he-upgraded-white-gasket.141950/#post-1912998
Pics on greasing the bearings
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...-you-apply-the-red-stuff.141830/#post-1911109

Also both augers and motor must be cleaned and working well. I worked on a stove with a new top auger motor and cleaned auger but the bottom auger was black as night with carbon and made the top auger bind right up! ! !

I vote for some foreign object in the vertical shaft. Its really hard to see in there. If you lived closer i could come videoscope your stove.
That's what I'm starting to think, but I just can't see inside. I need to get a small telescoping mirror to see inside after the next jam which just happened. Completely cleaned this out last night and had it running for almost 5 hours today and it's jammed solid on the top auger.

One correction is the model is a 25-PDVC/55 ship 10

Just cleared the jam again and ran a light through the vertical shaft. No block there after clearing, but just noticed the gasket on the bottom auger. I never realized it but it's pretty messed up and must have something to do with it. I attached a picture of the gasket. Top one is fine. I'll need to order a new one somewhere, hopefully local so I can get this up and running again.

Surprised as the lower auger would constantly turn while the upper keeps jamming.

Attachments

• 20160203_142702_resized.jpg
    20160203_142702_resized.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 161
did you loose power before this started happening? or have smoke back? "hopper fire"
No power loss, smoke back or hopper fire. This gasket has been like this for a while. I just really never paid enough attention to that. I purchased this used about 6 years ago, but it has run pretty well until recently. I have a new gasket on order. Will see if that's the problem.

Mode D is the factory setting for the pdvc.
No power loss, smoke back or hopper fire. This gasket has been like this for a while. I just really never paid enough attention to that. I purchased this used about 6 years ago, but it has run pretty well until recently. I have a new gasket on order. Will see if that's the problem.

It may help it burn better but that gasket shouldnt be causing any jams

When its jammed, if you remove the bottom auger first, before touching the top auger or clearing anything at all, do you find pellets in the bottom chute?
also can you see the end of the jam by looking through the bottom augers chute? if not, run a wire feeler through the bottom auger. is the jam flush with the opening to the bottom auger or how far up does the jam start.

I must admit, this is pretty bizarre. The top auger should run at intervals. When the pellets reach the end of the top chute, they should gravity drop and then get carried to their fiery death by the bottom auger. Reasoning the whole process out, one would conclude the breakdown in this "system" would have to be either an obstruction in the part where they fall by gravity or the bottom auger is not doing its job.

Is there any chance you mixed up the wiring and now the bottom auger runs on timed intervals and the top auger is running continuous?

It might possibly help to get some pictures posted. Of the bottom chute, the bottom auger and everything you can photograph while clearing the jam.

When its jammed, if you remove the bottom auger first, before touching the top auger or clearing anything at all, do you find pellets in the bottom chute?
also can you see the end of the jam by looking through the bottom augers chute? if not, run a wire feeler through the bottom auger. is the jam flush with the opening to the bottom auger or how far up does the jam start.

I must admit, this is pretty bizarre. The top auger should run at intervals. When the pellets reach the end of the top chute, they should gravity drop and then get carried to their fiery death by the bottom auger. Reasoning the whole process out, one would conclude the breakdown in this "system" would have to be either an obstruction in the part where they fall by gravity or the bottom auger is not doing its job.

Is there any chance you mixed up the wiring and now the bottom auger runs on timed intervals and the top auger is running continuous?

It might possibly help to get some pictures posted. Of the bottom chute, the bottom auger and everything you can photograph while clearing the jam.
I haven't removed the bottom auger first yet, but when I do remove it I have a few pellets. Nothing major. Once this jams up the bottom auger chute doesn't get any pellets until I clear the top auger jam and vertical shaft.

I spoke with someone who repairs other brands today while picking up the gasket and he thinks it's the motor dying out. He said the motors don't typically last very long. He said it could also be the top auger is warped and scraping against the inner walls. I can't seem to get this to run more than 4-5 hours now before it jams up. I'll find out tomorrow morning when I set it up for a fresh run and see how far I get. What was 1-2 bags is now down to less than 5 hrs.

With regards to the wiring I'd have to say no since the bottom auger is constantly moving. The top runs at intervals until it jams up. I was really surprised to see that the vertical shaft has a flat bottom. I thought they would fall strait into the bottom auger. Instead they land on a flat part and then fall backwards into the lower auger. Strange design by englander.

I guess my next step is a motor. Just hate to shell out money for something without knowing for sure.

I spoke with someone who repairs other brands today while picking up the gasket and he thinks it's the motor dying out. He said the motors don't typically last very long. He said it could also be the top auger is warped and scraping against the inner walls. I can't seem to get this to run more than 4-5 hours now before it jams up. I'll find out tomorrow morning when I set it up for a fresh run and see how far I get. What was 1-2 bags is now down to less than 5 hrs.

I guess my next step is a motor. Just hate to shell out money for something without knowing for sure.

This is why we said swap the motors.

I've swapped the motors multiple times over the past few weeks and there is no difference. Either way the bottom auger keeps going and the top auger jams after a certain period of time.

Im not sure if i asked this or not... have you gotten englanders techs on the phone yet? Or even emailed them yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.