englander manual the bible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfrehner

Dec 13, 2008
Northern Missouri
I was looking today at the Englander model 30, and I decided to look through the manual online. I was a bit surprised to see in it that it says that this stove should not be installed with a flue greater than 25 feet tall. I have a masonry chimney which is 30 feet, so should I be worried about this, or will I be alright? I will be putting in a chimney liner. I would appreciate your thoughts and knowledge to help me out on this. Thanks

You can reduce the strong draft of a tall chimney by adding a flue damper. That will in effect reduce its height. Give Englander tech support a call if you have concerns.

I also was considering the same stove and have a 35 + chimney, and was wondering if you found out any info ?

Mike Holten will be along shortly..

And he carries the Englander Bible in his vest pocket. Or so I am told ;-)

I've got an 30 sitting in the back of my truck and a 33ft masonry chimney. Mike whats the scoop on this?

Plan on reducing the draft to the point where it acts like a 25ft chimney. Is the stove getting connected to a liner in this chimney? If not, what is the flue tile size?

Its ceramic lined (the orange stuff whatever it is). I'm not sure on the size. Its like 6x9 or somthing?

Should I use a damper to reduce flow? If so what sort?

Can't one simply manage the draft through the vents? I have one vent above and one below on my Englander/Summers Heat model.....I try to make sure the flames dance like a liquid, as if oil dripping upside down....

alfrehner said:
I was looking today at the Englander model 30, and I decided to look through the manual online. I was a bit surprised to see in it that it says that this stove should not be installed with a flue greater than 25 feet tall. I have a masonry chimney which is 30 feet, so should I be worried about this, or will I be alright? I will be putting in a chimney liner. I would appreciate your thoughts and knowledge to help me out on this. Thanks

I don't have any knowledge, but i do have an NC-30 and a 32' flue (with a pair of 90's in it) and it seems to be running fine. I do notice that i only use a small bit of the air control travel, and that's probably due to the large amount of draft pulling the air into the stove, but it's very manageable and the stove is a pleasure to use.

jcims said:
alfrehner said:

I don't have any knowledge, but i do have an NC-30 and a 32' flue (with a pair of 90's in it) and it seems to be running fine. I do notice that i only use a small bit of the air control travel, and that's probably due to the large amount of draft pulling the air into the stove, but it's very manageable and the stove is a pleasure to use.

I think manageability is the key here. If you find that w/ the tall chimney your stove is running harder than it should w/ the air closed all the way, then the use of an inline stove damper will reduce the draw that the stove feels and help make the stove more controllable.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.