1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander NC30 availability

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Highbeam, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So I am about to pursue a permitted installation of a stove in my shed/garage. For whatever reason, the county allows it with an 18" hearth. I want an NC-30 because it is cheap, non-cat, and stout. I found it at home depot online and it appears to be unavailable at my local stores so I emailed the HD and this is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care regarding your
    wood burning stove inquiry. At the present time, this item is an
    'online exclusive', meaning it is only available for purchase online and
    is not available in the Home Depot stores.
    You may however, purchase the item online and have it shipped to your
    local Home Depot store, home or alternate address."

It is listed for 899$ and that is a fair price though I am always up for a better price. Being online only it would seem that local prices/sales are a thing of the past.

What gives? Do HD stores no longer stock this item? Is there another place to get it for the same price? Is this how everybody has been ordering their NC30s?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    How bout that post for the place in Michigan selling them delivered?
  4. stayfitz

stayfitz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    Ben's Supercenter... But I don't see that model noted on their website
  5. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Delivery is free from HD - or was when I ordered mine. Get it online and have it delivered to the barn. Can't beat that and transit liability is on them(or shipping company) so you gain there two. The stove is a beast and the only potential I see for issues is moving the big sucker in transit: ie. glass break, scratch, bend, dent with poor handling(sometimes happens)

Let them take the risk and then sweeten the pot a touch when it arrives and you may get the delivery crew to set it in place(like I did) Best $50 I ever spent - or darn close to it!!
    Oldhippie likes this.
  6. Highbeam

Loc:
    Shipping is no longer free from HD. It depends on your zipcode and for me it will be 99$ to my home. So the real price is 998$ plus our state sales tax of 8 or 9%. The good news is that it is from HD and easy enough to deal with and dependable enough to give my credit card info. I worry about using some guy in MI that I've never heard of.

Rolling out more insulation tonight. Need to hide some stuff in the walls before an inspector comes out!
  7. Bluerubi

Bluerubi Member

Loc:
    Auburn, NH
    You can also look online for a lowes 10% off coupon that HD will almost always honor. That pretty much covers your shipping cost, and if you want another deal you can buy some already loaded HD gift cards online for a 10% reduction in cost, further saving some money. This is how I was going to buy this exact stove till my wife make the executive decision on an Oslo.
  8. Highbeam

Loc:
    Since this will be an online order, not sure if I can apply those grey area deals. I'll try.

If there was a store with one on the floor, I would drive there and get it in my pickup. WOuld be even better if it was in Oregon since they have no sales tax.

Even for 1100$, this stove is a decent buy.
  9. Hoozie

Hoozie Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Klamath Basin, Oregon
    Last I checked Ben's doesn't have the -30 listed anymore. Still have the -13 though (for $400?!)

A place in Klamath Falls Oregon has the -30 on the floor for $1149 <> No sales tax, but we're at the very southern edge of Oregon, giving you a really long drive.

I must say though, even burning the uglies, I'm very happy with the -30 I got.
  10. Highbeam

Loc:
    Yeah, it's about 2.5 hours to the Oregon (tax free) border. I like the drive and certainly have taken it for expensive items and to visit family in Portland. Fuel cost is 60$ so it is only a small benefit for a 1000 dollar purchase.

Looking forward to a hot burning non-cat that I can abuse.
  11. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Beat it like a red headed step child.... and it will still be purdier than the BK.... :cool:
    stayfitz likes this.
  12. metalsped

metalsped Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Quabbin Woods
    HD in Wilbraham, MA had (1) 30 and (1) 13 on the floor, both still boxed. $899 for either. Saw them earlier this week.
  13. Highbeam

Loc:
    Maybe if I go to a store I can have them search inventories of other stores for the stove. The online help lady wouldn't/couldn't do that for me. I can drive a long ways for 99$.
  14. xuberantz

xuberantz New Member

I'm in VA but I purchased a NC30 from my local HD last week. Only one they had though.
  15. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I got both of mine for $650 + free delivery .One in the spring and one in the fall. Every time i check them online they are a different price. Depending on what zip code i enter. BUt lately they seem all the same. About $899 year round.
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Seem like they have caught on.
  17. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

That's what I paid for mine from "my local" HD in VA last summer (thanks to the post/tip on Hearth). They even hauled it up the stairs and parked it on the shipping pallet next to the hearth in the living room. That thing weighs a lot and there is no way I could have hauled it up here from the local HD store myself.

Some HDs carry stoves, most do not. Most around here do not carry them. Same Lowes do here, but they do not carry the Englander line.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  18. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I go to the Post Office and ask for a "moving kit", usually has a 10% off coupon in it for Home Depot or Lowes, either one will honor the others
  19. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  20. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    USPS moving kits have not had those coupons for several months now. You can still get 10% off from Lowes through USPS, but you now must "prove" that you have actually changed addresses.

You need to enter your address info and then a code and they then issue you a 10% coupon.

I bought a truck load of building materials over the last several years at a 10% discount thanks to the good ol Post Office.;) Those days are over.
  21. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    Flemington, NJ HD has a 30, a 13 and a 28-3500 on the floor.
  22. stayfitz

Loc:
    Reno, NV
  23. Highbeam

Loc:
    At this point, I'll just take the HD price which isn't bad at 900$ plus 100 delivery plus 100 state sales tax. I will go to a real store and ask them to check local store inventory to avoid 100$ store to store delivery but at some point I just need to make a move.

I have an email to the building inspector to get a final blessing on my plan for a pole barn stove. Would hate to spend 2000$ (pipe and stove) and have him change his mind!
  24. stayfitz

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    HD price is good! Lowes in my area is selling the Summers Heat version for $200+ more!? Good luck with the building inspector... Hope it all works out!
  25. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Literally laughing at the laptop in the living room with this one!!!
    OMG!! ;lol;lol;lol