Englander NC30 crack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cre73

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Central Illinois
For the last couple years our NC30 has not been burning quite right. The biggest thing I see is the blow torch affect from the doghouse no longer takes place. I have replaced the door seal twice , cleaned the chimney multiple times, verified air flow to all areas with a compressed air tank, completed god knows how many dollar bill tests. Fires seem to take a little longer to get going. The only good aspect of this is we seem to be using less wood.

I am pretty confident with our wood now that I am about 3 years ahead. No sizzle or moisture coming out the ends. Glass is staying clean. Chimney only has light powder in it.

So is there any common place that these have cracked or how would you go about finding a crack. If that is a possibilty. Thanks!

99.9% You don’t have a crack.

99.9% You don’t have a crack.

It was just a thought because during one of my inspections of the stove I found a cracked weld on the back heat shield. This made me believe that possibly another spot could have the same issue and drawing air from there instead of the doghouse.

For the last couple years our NC30 has not been burning quite right. The biggest thing I see is the blow torch affect from the doghouse no longer takes place. Fires seem to take a little longer to get going. The only good aspect of this is we seem to be using less wood.

The NC30 is a noncat and full of holes. It has so much air passing through it that a bit more is no problem. I wouldn't even worry about a bad door gasket here.

What is most likely is that your fuel quality is lower than you remember. Even just different species will ignite and offgas differently. Moisture being higher or splits larger will also cause these symptoms.

One final thing to check. Do you have a silly bird screen on your cap? If so, they are prone to clogging and causing your symptoms. Be sure that it's clean.

Check your ceramic boards. Bump them with a log and they can lap over each other which leaves air leaks. I had to replace mine after 4 or five years as they were wearing thin and leaking. Worked like new again after replacement.