Englander outdoor break in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxjamie540

Nov 10, 2009
southern illinois
Got my Home Depot 30 delivered almost a week ago (hearty thank you goes out to all you Hearthers for the heads up on the deal)..... well today I did a break in fire to cure the paint outside my garage. I stuck all the stove pipe I had on her and got her to about 550 stovetop. Man you could sure see all the fumes baking off of the top. I cannot believe I did my old stove indoors when it was new.

I have a question about the air control though. Seems VERY VERY easy to move. My last stove was much more stiff. On the 30 it was almost like the control rod was not connected to the air door. Is this the normal feeling for the control? Also I tried closing the door with the air fully open, the fire died out..... I assumed this is because of lack of draft, hopefully not an air control problem.

Where can I get to the control rod and air door assembly, it is not readily visible and the manual states nothing. I am sure I am probably over thinking this, but I would like to make sure the rod is connected properly. It just seems WAY to easy to manipulate.

Thanks

Be sure to break it in completely.
To do that you have to put your hand on top of it and leave some burnt flesh behind,spill some water on it so there will be white spots..burn a glove or two on it so there will be melted polyester on it...then you're good to move it in!

HotCoals said:
Be sure to break it in completely.
To do that you have to put your hand on top of it and leave some burnt flesh behind,spill some water on it so there will be white spots..burn a glove or two on it so there will be melted polyester on it...then you're good to move it in!

don't forget a few four letter words aimed at the stove

Yep, the primary air control is really easy to slide. Normal.

Yep, you have to keep the door cracked open because of lousy draft from the short pipe.

Yep, birds falling out of the sky from all of those fumes rising is normal.

Broke mine in right in the living room ,not bad at all , crack a window or a window fan took just about 2 hours,not that much smoke.

Well here YA GO!

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_7415.jpg
    IMG_7415.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 307
Even the 30 will be hard-pressed to heat that space.

great pics! wheres the snow?

mxjamie540 said:
Well here YA GO!

Thanks for the replies.

That's awesome...
set up a camera to capture the looks of the neighbors (who don't burn wood) as they drive by.

Greythorn, been bout a least a month since last snow..... we're in Southern Illinois so not usually messes of snow. A big winter for us is about 20 inches total. Not bitter cold either, common winter temps are teens at night and 20's in the day.

Sure gonna love this stove. Also good news is I sold my Drolet Savannah on Craigslist in 2 days for $100 more than I paid for it. Life is good. Put the Englander on the scooterboard because I have to rebuild the hearth for more space for this heater. At least with the stove on the the scooter I can move her round my garage an not be constantly tripping on it till the install.

A fire in the driveway must turn some heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.