Englander pdvc keeps blowing fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken372

Sep 18, 2014
Pa.
Hi everyone,
Just my luck after talking to my daughter on the phone telling her how great our stove has been since we rebuilt it this yr it quit! I shut it down before dinner tonite around 4 pm had it running the last two days non stop and it ran great.i gave it a quick clean burn pot scrape etc hit start and it ran for aprox 4 seconds and quit.blew the fuse in control board.i checked all the wires nothing burnt frayed etc replaced the fuse hit start and fuse blew right away again. Any ideas?
It's going to be in the teens here tomorrow nite.

Check the ignitor and its wiring. You may have pinched a wire, or the ignitor shorted internally. You could disconnect the ignitor at the control board and try again. If the fuse survives, you've narrowed it down.

That's what I was going to try thanks.my next question is if I unplug the igniter wires from the control board and the stove doesn't blow the fuse and I just start it manually is it ok to run the stove with the igniter unplugged til I get a new one ordered?

I'm not an Englander guy, but I don't think that will harm anything.

Thanks I will give it a shot in the morning first thing I'm fresh out of 6amp fuses for now.have to let the furnace run tonite as much as I hate too.

I hear you!

Just make sure no wires will touch ground. If you disconnect both wires from the board, there will be no hot wires to cause trouble.

Needless to say, unplug the stove first - but you knew that!

I was going to disconnect them from the board and tape up the ends and put them up out of the way or just take them off the board and snip them off and the igniter housing since I'm replacing it anyway

I don't know how your stove is laid out, but you may need to use the old wiring to pull the new wires in. So cutting the wires short may not be a good idea. We need to get some Englander guys here!

On my stove, it's much easier to pull the new wires through the channel, using the old wires, as opposed to trying to fish them through. Using the old wires is convenient, but not necessary.

YMMV.

That's why I love this stove it's real easy to work on for just about anyone.its a fairly short run from the back of the igniter to the control board for me but I'm thinking I will just unplug the originals and put them up out of the way and get this bad boy lit again and just let her burn for a few days it's going to be cold here the next few days so i will be happy just to get it going again for now,the furnace is drinking propane as we speak! Ha ha

Just wanted to update I pulled replaced the fuse disconnected the igniter and lit the stove manually and we have fire! Stove is back on line w/o igniter of course.
But she throwing heat til the new one gets here,thank god for this website and all the great peeps on here!

Did you look for a pinched wire? Either way, it will be good to have a spare ignitor on hand.

Enjoy the heat!

Yes sir checked all the wires everything in good shape she's purring like a kitten now just waiting for the new igniter to get here. Thanks a bunch for the help I was ready to spring for a new control board?

Status
Not open for further replies.