englander pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blizzard56

Dec 25, 2010
ct.
Just recently purchased a 55shp10 stove for my basement from a local feed store and after getting into my basement I go to log ser. numbers and I see its from 9/08. I sent a email to englander stoves to see about warranty, but what would you guys do out there. I kinda don't feel comfortable having something that sat for over 2yrs. any feedback appreciated.

You're OK. Warranties begin from date of purchase. Keep your sales receipt. If you're uncomfortable and unsure, call the company. I bought mine manufactured in '09 brand new and I don't think there's a need to worry. Plus side is that if there was something seriously wrong with the unit, it should have been discovered by now. My two cents.

It was the last one that they said they had. I usually do not like to buy open box items. I was just shocked that they had something this old. There are some mfg. out there that I know of that go by date of mfg. I did shoot them a email to check. Also wanted to find out from them if they had any changes with parts from then till now because if they did this unit is going back.

blizzard56 said:
It was the last one that they said they had. I usually do not like to buy open box items. I was just shocked that they had something this old. There are some mfg. out there that I know of that go by date of mfg. I did shoot them a email to check. Also wanted to find out from them if they had any changes with parts from then till now because if they did this unit is going back.

As BillM2 said above, the warranty started the date you bought the stove and installed it. Englander is VERY good at taking care of any problems under warranty, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Plus, that stove hasn't changed much since '04.

But it probably would be a good idea to give them a call Monday and speak with Mike Holton, or one of his tech guys. If you give them the serial number, they can make sure there aren't any issues that needed correcting.....but I doubt it.

Go online and Register the stove with Englander. It will ask the purchase date and where purchased. Also the build date of the stove. They understand aged inventory, so no issues there.....

Blizzard, one more thing about your stove & install. I just re-read your 1st post, and see you plan on installing your basement. If you did any searching on this forum, you'll see that basement installs are very "problematic".

Is your basement finished & insulated? Are you using the stove JUST to heat the basement, or did you think it would heat most of the house since "heat rises"?

I live in a basic cape. Where the stove is going, it is finished and insulated on that side. I do have a pellet stove in my living room on main floor for the past 5-yrs. which is 16x26, heat will go up and I can keep that side of house at 70. Other side stays at 65-66 and heat does not come on much. I just need to get some heat in that family room area because of not having the warm air come on its cold. Whatever may go upstairs or heats floor will be a plus. I have what I call scorched air heat, so I have no heat retention. For main heat I keep at 65. My only issue will be is that I have to go through casement window and I will be at my 15'evl so I have to go to 4" and also have to go vertical to get above drift line/snow line. Wish I could just poke out but I will be too low. only about a foot. Then I could stay with the 3". Do not know if this project will be completed this winter. I was orig. going to go with coal or wood but i would have to do a complete chimney, plus i wanted to keep with the ease of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.