Enjoy that wood heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
What's not to like about wood heat. Have a load of what I call my top tier wood (hedge) on its way to coaling stage in the 520.
Have only packed the stove up with hedge one time, it turned into a pucker factor time! About 5 large splits is enough.

20240114_075041.jpg 20240114_074638.jpg

Nice stove with a toasty fire.
I wish I could run a stove. Wood furnaces are boring.

Reactions: bigealta
Boring heat is great ! Osage, I and a host of others can attest to that. I'm burning 5 to 6 year css all less the 15% MC red oak. No packed stoves for me, guaranteed run away and me headingf for the xanax bottle. . My 5 y.o. hickory does burn with more control.
Have only packed the stove up with hedge one time, it turned into a pucker factor time

Last edited:
I have been burning maple and madrona during this cold snap and pushing the stove harder to keep the house heated. This is when having too many windows equals a very recognizable heat loss problem. Tomorrow should see us over the hump. They are talking 50º by the end of the week.

Heres the hedge when coaled. At this stage it is still takes up 75% of the space of what it was when lit it.

20240114_083139.jpg

Why do you say hedge is so much better? Or known for runaway fires? It’s not all that much different than hickory and such. I’ve always heard this, I’ve also always heard that line can’t be used in a stove. We all know that’s false..

Webby what part of Indiana you in? I'm surprised you don't have it. 50 miles east of Richmond we had it in all old fence rows.

Webby what part of Indiana you in? I'm surprised you don't have it. 50 miles east of Richmond we had it in all old fence rows.
South central.
We have it, I just don’t see what the hype is all about.

I’m into some black birch, not too far down from hedge on most firewood btu charts. Going down into the teens with wind tonight, we will see how this load does heating 3ksqft on the overnight.

6587E16D-7DC2-4CCD-8628-2F7F959FB077.jpeg

I have noticed that at times hedge will coal the whole log before breaking down. There doesn't seem to be much you can do as far as modifying the burn at this point. So you essentially have in my case if I stuff the stove, a 2.5 cu ft block red hot wood. Hedge weighs 54# per cu ft, that's a lot of mass that doesn't go away as quickly as other woods do.
Hedge is not my favorite wood to burn, but when it gets 0 or below and winds anywhere from 30 to 50 mph it's what I turn to.
Looking at the btu charts I'll rest my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbob
My favorite is locust for high heat. It holds long coals too. Burns with a blue flame.
Locust is great wood. The older growth trees were covered in 3-4" daggers. If it wasn't in a bulldozer pile with them rubbed off I'd pass. I've seen several thorns go through a boot, it's not pretty.

Locust is great wood. The older growth trees were covered in 3-4" daggers. If it wasn't in a bulldozer pile with them rubbed off I'd pass. I've seen several thorns go through a boot, it's not pretty.
We have both around here. The honey Locust is the one with long thorns.

We have both around here. The honey Locust is the one with long thorns.
Are there 2 types of Honey? Here in the NE, any of them I've been in were thornless. BL has thorns on the new growth. They get to be about an inch long. I've heard of locust having thorns like you describe .....

My favorite is locust for high heat. It holds long coals too. Burns with a blue flame.
One of my favorites too. Love it mixed with some other heavies. Alone ..... not so much. For me the combo of it with oaks and hickory bring it to life.

Are there 2 types of Honey? Here in the NE, any of them I've been in were thornless. BL has thorns on the new growth. They get to be about an inch long. I've heard of locust having thorns like you describe .....
You are correct. We have 2 of the thornless Honey Locusts in our yard and 4 Black Locusts in the field,

Last edited:
Reactions: all night moe
I like my oak. Burns nice and hot and holds coals for a good while. I’ve never tried locust before.

Tomorrow I'm headed north. I'll try to remember to take a pic of one across from the shop that caught my eye.

One of my favorites too. Love it mixed with some other heavies. Alone ..... not so much. For me the combo of it with oaks and hickory bring it to life.
Yes, it's nice mixed. I had doug fir to start the coal bed and to mix it with.

I have a fairly large honey locust on my place that doesn't have thorns. It drops lots of pods and all of the young ones have lots of thorns.

I'd say that black locust is the longest lasting wood that I've ever burned. I've burned a little bit of Osage but not enough to get an idea of what it will do.