Enlarge Opening - Raise Lintel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durieu

Jan 18, 2021
Durieu, BC
Hello.
Please see the attached photos.
Very limited experience working with fireplaces...

I would like to raise the lintel to allow a larger wood stove insert. Current opening is 20 inches.
Looks like when they added the stone, they came out and down several inches.

One, do i have the option of raising the lintel?
Two, what kind of pain would it be?

Fire1.jpg Fire5.jpg Fire6.jpg Fire7.jpg

It looks like the face stones are about 2-3" thick. Is that correct? I'm thinking a skilled mason with a diamond saw could cut the face stones above the lintel but I would ask a pro how they would address this. How much height would be gained?

Hello.
Please see the attached photos.
Very limited experience working with fireplaces...

I would like to raise the lintel to allow a larger wood stove insert. Current opening is 20 inches.
Looks like when they added the stone, they came out and down several inches.

One, do i have the option of raising the lintel?
Two, what kind of pain would it be?

View attachment 298788 View attachment 298789 View attachment 298790 View attachment 298791
It is certainly possible. But it's a lot of work and I would say it would start around $1000

I think the upper cobble stones are thicker than the sides, you can see two rows of steel to hold them in place, plus the side stones are a different size, a veneer, would I alter that setup?, no

How much height gain over the 20" would there be?

One brick height would help a lot. That would open up the opportunity for several large inserts. The PE Summit insert is 22" high.

I was able to remove a layer of brick.
Beneath that was several inches of sand. Hard packed, so it is a nice foundation.
With the brick gone I had enough room for a Pacific Energy Super Insert, with about 1 inch to spare all around.
Just finished putting it in.
Tomorrow I get to break it in.
Thank you for your assistance.

298945-03f9714dbf8972f72c347f293c263429.jpg Picture1.jpg