Enviro EF3 heat exchanger shield keeps falling out while burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new EF3 which has 50 bags through it and just in the last little while has dropped the heat exchanger plate 3 times - the last time causing alot of smoke. Anyone else with an EF3 have this happen? I'm pushing it into the slots as far as it will go.

I have the EF-2

If the fire box is the same design......Make sure the fake fire brick backer isn't pushed back/out too far. If it is...you can pull it back by hooking something onto the brick and pull it to the center of the stove slightly.

The baffle plate should rest in the 4 slots on the top/sides.

Also the front tab of the baffle faces down.

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
I have the EF-2

If the fire box is the same design......Make sure the fake fire brick backer isn't pushed back/out too far. If it is...you can pull it back by hooking something onto the brick and pull it to the center of the stove slightly.
The baffle plate should rest in the 4 slots on the top/sides.
Also the front tab of the baffle faces down.
---Nailer---

tx for the quick response Nailor - ya it seems the 4 slots are spread out a bit. I'll try to give it a tug. And Also I had the baffle in backwards - tab facing up :( ......live and learn.
Tx again I'll post up results later this week.
~Res

ResOps,

I just thought about the baffle plate install. Now I'm not sure which way it is supposed to be. I just checked my manual and the picture isn't clear. I know mine is currently installed with the tab facing down. I don't think mine fits in with the tab up.

Perhaps one of the techs could chime in.

Sorry for the confusion.

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
ResOps,

I just thought about the baffle plate install. Now I'm not sure which way it is supposed to be. I just checked my manual and the picture isn't clear. I know mine is currently installed with the tab facing down. I don't think mine fits in with the tab up.

Perhaps one of the techs could chime in.

Sorry for the confusion.

---Nailer---

Nailor,
I tried it in with the tab down and it fits (fits either way). I loosened off the brick plate and tried to hold it in place while tightening it but it doesn't look like I gained much in the slots. I have it running hot tonight so we will see if it stays in place tonight. Tab down makes sense to me but again it won't make a difference with respect to the slots.
tx.

ResOps,

I agree up or down won't make any difference with regards to the baffle slots.

But if I think about it. It may change the migration speed of heated air around the heat exchanger tubes. Not sure.

I will have to experiment.

On my EF-2 the side "brick" is missing a bottom screw. Ocassionally the left side bottom will get kicked out a bit.
I sometimes have to pull it back in a bit to keep the baffle plate installed in it slots.

---Nailer---

Yup I agree again- with it in the down positionthe heated air should 'wash' across the soor glass better. I gotta use up this years holidays and the stove is due so I'm going to pull it apart and clean it tomorrow and pay a little closer attention to mounting the back baffles.

No prob NW, forgot I wrote part of this.
No longer running that EF-2 stove.
Have it in stand by in basement.
Hope it helps,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.