Enviro M55 Error 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheNoobOfFire

Jan 7, 2021
Ontario
Hi! I have an older Enviro M55 that came with the house I just bought. It isn’t located in the basement, and I have been using it to heat the entire house. I burn it on #1 with premium pellets, but for the past few days, it has been burning out and flashing #3. I also have a black ash arc on the door. I have tried to adjust the feed and combustion air trim, but it doesn’t seem to be letting me to do so. Can I not burn on heat level 1?

Welcome to the Forum TheNoobOfFir
Flashing number 3 indicates
1 Out of Pellets Or
2 Exhaust Temperature Sensor’s contacts have opened.
Not burning enough pellets to keep proof of fire switch closed
Basely the fire goes out (no fule)

First, do a full cleaning of your stove air intake to the exhaust termination
Which M55 do you have FS Steel, FS Cast, or Insert Cast
Manuals here

Hi Noob. The short answer to your question is yes, the stove can be run at #1 if it's running properly.

I'll add a few things to what John said above.

The flashing #3 light means that "the exhaust temp switch contacts have opened", which happens if the switch temperature is below 120dF. The stove will set off this code if the flame is too small or has gone out completely (like when you run out of pellets). The temperature switch itself is located on the left side of the stove (when looking from the front) in between the firebox and the combustion blower.

Here is a link to the manual. The exhaust sensor is shown on page 10, figure 6
https://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-14585 Instruction M55-FS Owners Manual.pdf

The feed trim and combustion air trim will only operate once the stove has completed its start-up sequence, at least that is the case with my M55. So the stove may be shutting down during the start-up sequence because it isn't sensing enough heat by the end of the sequence.

The black ash arc on the door usually appears on my stove within a day of cleaning. I'd consider that normal.

If your stove is running fine on higher settings, then the exhaust temperature switch is functioning. Though I was getting a lot #3 flashing codes when starting my stove which I could get around by just hitting the start button a second time. I eventually just changed out that temperature switch and now it starts the first time every time.

Good luck,
Marc

Welcome to the Forum TheNoobOfFir
Flashing number 3 indicates
1 Out of Pellets Or
2 Exhaust Temperature Sensor’s contacts have opened.
Not burning enough pellets to keep proof of fire switch closed
Basely the fire goes out (no fule)

First, do a full cleaning of your stove air intake to the exhaust termination
Which M55 do you have FS Steel, FS Cast, or Insert Cast
Manuals here

Thank you for your quick reply! I believe it is the steel. I have been doing the weekly cleaning and maintenance, but i don’t know when the exhaust or blowers were cleaned (been in the house 1 month only). I am a bit hesitant to do it myself, but if most people do it, I should at least try!

Hi Marc! Thank you for the extra input. I turned it up to setting 2 today, and it ran without any problems. Heat level 2 keeps the house a bit too warm and goes through pellets pretty quickly. After reading some past posts on here, I thought the black ash was from a “rich” fire and that there needed to be air intake adjustments. Just out of curiosity, what’s your air and feed trim? Thanks!

...Just out of curiosity, what’s your air and feed trim? Thanks!

My feed trim is 2 and my combustion air trim is 4, but that will differ based on pellet quality.

You might try starting the stove at #2 setting. Once the startup sequence is complete, you can increase feed trim by pressing the up arrow while holding the feed trim button down. Then you can turn the stove back down to #1 setting and see if the feed rate is high enough to keep the temperature switch satisfied.

Marc

My feed trim is 2 and my combustion air trim is 4, but that will differ based on pellet quality.

You might try starting the stove at #2 setting. Once the startup sequence is complete, you can increase feed trim by pressing the up arrow while holding the feed trim button down. Then you can turn the stove back down to #1 setting and see if the feed rate is high enough to keep the temperature switch satisfied.

Marc
Sounds good! I will try that today.