Enviro M55 getting hot, help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCD

Dec 30, 2012
So I am pretty new to all of this, my neighbor and I get stoves two years again and aside from a couple minor problems everything has bee great.

Starting about 3 weeks ago my son turned down the stove but didn't shut the lid all the way and somehow the stove kept running. It ended up tripping the high limit switch, I reset the switch and everything was good. After that it was tripped the switch one other time and I think it is about ready to again. The lid of the stove is a lot hotter than normal and is almost to hot to open to fill the stove. I would like to narrow down the problem a little and see if it is something I might be able to fix before I have to call a dealer, I live in a pretty rural area and it is out of warranty so I am sure just a service call will be pricy. Any help you guys can provide would be great and let me know if you need any more details to help trouble shoot.

Stove make & model?

Is the room blower running?

Its an Enviro M55C-FPI. As for the blower, I would have said it was blowing but I just stuck a piece of paper in from of the tubes and if it is blowing it is not blowing very hard at all. So I am going to think that is a good place to start.

When is the last time you removed both blowers and cleaned them? Sounds like the fans are loaded with crap.

I have not. Guess I will pull it out and figure it out tomorrow and see if that helps.

When is the last time you removed both blowers and cleaned them? Sounds like the fans are loaded with crap.
Does sound like that. If the conv. blower is loaded with pet hair, dust, etc.....it will not run enough air through the stove to pull the heat out....results could be the hi-limit switch tripping.

That sounds like the problem, third season and about 6 tons run though it and we just moved the dogs bead in front of it so that didn't help with the hair and other crap in it. Any tips on how to clean them, do I need to pull the whole blower out or just vacuum it as best I can from the end?

Best to pull it out. You'll need to clean the motor itself, also, so the coils in the motor get cooling air. I use compressed air to blow through the motor windings, others use a straw attachment on their vacuum cleaners.
Look for oil ports on the motor. You may or may not have them.

If you don't have time to pull the blower right now, but you can see and reach the conv. blower inlet, try running a vacuum w/ brush attachment over it.

Yep, it sounds like you have the old convection blower. The new blower will fix the problem. I would talk to the dealer you got the stove from and see if they will get you the new blower under warranty. The new blower blows a lot more air and keeps the stove from getting hot enough to trip the hi limit switch. In the meantime, removing, cleaning the fins and lubing the bushing under the rubber cover might help you keep it running until you get a new blower, but either way you really want/need the new blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.