Enviro Milan Motherboard Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BARTSFAM

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
A year ago my motherboard burned, bought a new one, and now this morning I believe the new one is gone also.

I needed to clean the stove and powered down as usual. All seemed fine, cleaned the stove and went to power up. No power. No internal red lights blinking...nothing.
I figured a fuse blew, but upon looking at the motherboard I noticed a black cap was dangling. See the attached photos. That can't be good right? It looks like it came loose from a post. There are two posts and one looks secure and it looks like it is not attached to the other.
What does this cap do? I know nothing about soldering. It looks like the post could just be put back in the hole. Is there more to it then that?
The board also has 5 fuses. I was just going to replace all five and see what happens.
Does this board need to be professionally serviced? Any advice?

Enviro Milan Motherboard Question Enviro Milan Motherboard Question

It is broken/bad. Can be easily replaced, as long as you can readily find one, from the markings on the old one. In older days, any radio/tv repair place would do it. Nowadays you may have to search to find a reasonably priced electronics repair place. However, a suggestion, buy one, you can probably find it fast on the net, Mouser and Digikey are good places to start. Then, if you cannot find a electronics shop that actually does board repairs, ask some HAM radio people,many dabble in such stuff,and have the equipment. Or you could even walk it into a trade school that teaches such,and ask for a favor.
Oh, what it is? A storage device. Think of it as a little battery that charges and discharges quickly.

Reactions: maraakate
This looks like a capacitor. Like Mt Bob said, you can probably find one on line. If you are close to a college with an engineering school, they usually have shops well stocked with all sorts of things. A quick stop there could solve this problem for you.

This looks like a capacitor. Like Mt Bob said, you can probably find one on line. If you are close to a college with an engineering school, they usually have shops well stocked with all sorts of things. A quick stop there could solve this problem for you.
I looked around my area. Tried computer repair shops that fix motherboards, but they all said "no." I'll keep trying.
I can't believe it's bad after 1 year of use. The warranty was only 90 days.

I looked around my area. Tried computer repair shops that fix motherboards, but they all said "no." I'll keep trying.
Try a college of engineering in a decent sized school. I found one in my town, where they have a shop and all sorts of parts. They do this for the students who use them for class projects and research. Some of those are open to the public to buy or rent. I was thrilled when I found it.

They probably refused because they have no way to test the board. You need to explain you know this may not work, and you expect them not to be responsible.

Reactions: BARTSFAM
If you can't find someone to fix it, ship it to me and I will repair it for $25, plus the cost of the new capacitor and shipping it back to you.