Envoiro M55 blower defect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enviromaniac

Jan 25, 2012
Lakes Region NH
Good day all, I am new to the forum and thought I would start off with an unpleasant experience with my new stove. I purchased the Enviro M55 last August 2011 which was working like a champ up until a week ago when my stove started acting up with the flashing #4 error code. spend three days resetting the heat sensor, cleaning the stove as best I could, I gave up. I pulled up the installers manual offline and after some reading I narrowed it down to the convection blower. Because of the warrenty issues I called a technician in to take a look at it $99.00 later he confirmed that yes it was the convection motor as the fan was barley spinning casing the stove to over heat and shut down, thankful it is working like it is suppose to and shutting the unit down. So the company I bought it from did the leg work and contacted distributor and manufacturer. What they were told is that there is a defect in the convection blower motor and they have manufactured a new one but it will be two weeks to get one to me. This is clearly unacceptable and the distributor was not willing to pull an older model from a stove and now I am left without a stove for two weeks. So if anyone is having issues with thier convection motor this may or may not be your issue.

Is your stove Free Standing or an Insert?

I have run my FS M55C on heat level 5 for extended times with no problem.
But some folks have reported this exact problem in inserts. Not sure if FS units are affected.

There is a "Turbo" Convection blower available but not sure if that is the direct replacement or an upgrade option.
The "Turbo" blower is a bit louder than the original.

Sucks you have to wait 2 weeks.
You could order it and replace it yourself out side of warranty if you prefer.
But hearing prices of ~$250 for the new blower.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

It's a free standing, cast with enamel coting beautiful unit. I have the latest model with the adjustable auger plate and heat plate that shields just below the heat tubes. I believe they are going to replace the defective blower with the turbo (newly manufatured blower) we will see in two weeks. The tech will come out and put the parts in at no cost as I already paid him $99.00. I took the old one out and know my way around the stove but, I will let him replace and get my money's worth.

Thanks for the feed back

Rick

Welcome to the forum enviromaniac. Sorry to hear about your trouble. After buying such an expensive appliance you would think they'd overnight the part to you! But as usual even the best companies suffer from this. Two weeks is considered quick for them, meamwhile your home is cold. This is the downside of pellet stove ownership, so many parts could fail at any time. We get left with the only option, the central heat. Good luck, the M55 is a beutifull stove!

VCBurner said:
Welcome to the forum enviromaniac. Sorry to hear about your trouble. After buying such an expensive appliance you would think they'd overnight the part to you! But as usual even the best companies suffer from this. Two weeks is considered quick for them, meamwhile your home is cold. This is the downside of pellet stove ownership, so many parts could fail at any time. We get left with the only option, the central heat. Good luck, the M55 is a beutifull stove!

Totally agree...Any part can be had overnight!!

Good luck!!!

I purchased the M55 Insert Cast and it was installed the day before Thanksgiving(2011). Love the unit but just this Thursday(Feb 9th) the High temperature sensor started tripping. I cleaned out the unit again and still the sensor tripped 2 more times. I then removed the surround panel and took a look at the back of the unit. I found that the Convection blower was not spinning and the motor(I believe old style) was burning hot(not from the stove heat, everything around the motor was cool to touch). I checked the voltage going to the motor and it was 120Vac and it does change when I adjust the heat level. So I then contacted the Dealer on Saturday Morning and they will put in a warranty claim on Monday(Feb 13th). So I will wait and see how long it will take to get it repaired.
I also noticed that the baffle plate on my unit is starting to bow a lot. Does anyone know if that would cause any issues(i.e. efficiency). I removed it and was able to somewhat reshape it but it still is not straight.

Attachments

• Baffle Plate.jpg
    Baffle Plate.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 590
  • Convection Blower Motor.jpg
    Convection Blower Motor.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 599
Ryan Zach said:
I purchased the M55 Insert Cast and it was installed the day before Thanksgiving(2011). Love the unit but just this Thursday(Feb 9th) the High temperature sensor started tripping. I cleaned out the unit again and still the sensor tripped 2 more times. I then removed the surround panel and took a look at the back of the unit. I found that the Convection blower was not spinning and the motor(I believe old style) was burning hot(not from the stove heat, everything around the motor was cool to touch). I checked the voltage going to the motor and it was 120Vac and it does change when I adjust the heat level. So I then contacted the Dealer on Saturday Morning and they will put in a warranty claim on Monday(Feb 13th). So I will wait and see how long it will take to get it repaired.
I also noticed that the baffle plate on my unit is starting to bow a lot. Does anyone know if that would cause any issues(i.e. efficiency). I removed it and was able to somewhat reshape it but it still is not straight.
I've been sort of posting a long term report of my M55 FS stove and the warped baffle occurred on my unit as well. I called my dealer, they ordered a replacement and I swapped my old one for a new one- N/C..

It is not hard to improperly install the baffle I have found. You have to pay particular attention to the orientation. My new one, properly installed and has seen over 2 tons of fuel, is again slightly warped- but ever so slightly. I have not seen any detriment in performance. My stove is on Hi/Low, with 3 being the highest setting, so my stove rarely sees max burn- only on start up etc..

My thread on the unit is here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67870/

This whole season I had it running at Heat Level 5 Feed rate 1 and Combustion air trim 3(Geneva 100% Hardwood Super Premium Pellets). It seemed to burn fine, I had it installed professionally, but I don't remember the installation guys doing the Slider/Damper set-up. Is that something that should be done at installation(especially since the installation was not Free($1000))?
And will I need to replace the baffle as part of a maintenance routine? If so how much do they run when I am out of warranty? Also I noticed that the Fire Grate's paint seems to be chipping away and looking like it is starting to rust. Is this another part that is covered or would I need to replace it.

Attachments

• WP_000274.jpg
    WP_000274.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 540
  • WP_000283.jpg
    WP_000283.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 536
I AM SO SICK OF HEREING HOW THE SUPOSED PROS INSTALL A STOVE AND DONT EVEN BOTHER TO USE A GUAGE TO SET THE AIR SETING. the m55 or any enviro for that matter, will not runn to its full potential without setting the air. this can not be done by eye, sure you can get it close, but ive been doing this for almos 10 years and every install i set it by eye first thencheck with a guage, im NEVER where it sould be by eye.
1000. for install is on the high side but not unheard of, but at that price they better be doing a darn good job(i.e. proporly seting the air!)

hwdemers said:
I AM SO SICK OF HEREING HOW THE SUPOSED PROS INSTALL A STOVE AND DONT EVEN BOTHER TO USE A GUAGE TO SET THE AIR SETING. the m55 or any enviro for that matter, will not runn to its full potential without setting the air. this can not be done by eye, sure you can get it close, but ive been doing this for almos 10 years and every install i set it by eye first thencheck with a guage, im NEVER where it sould be by eye.
1000. for install is on the high side but not unheard of, but at that price they better be doing a darn good job(i.e. proporly seting the air!)

hwdemers said:
one more rant, why would enviro go threw all the trubelof putting a stiker on the glass that say what and how the air setting should be if it was not important.

We hear it alot! And we shouldn't hear it at all. I hope enviro is watching and does something. Slapping there knuckles maybe? Whats it take like tens minutes once the stove is roasting. And that's a stretch. Maybe Enviro can start shipping gauges with the units so the owners can tweak them?

Enviromaniac, sorry to hear about your stove issue. I have had similar issues with the Enviro distribution chain of command. Something simple becomes an ordeal if you have the wrong dealer and distributor. How is it a distributor doesn't have spares for these parts is just crazy.

Enviro should have a last resort department to deal with incompetent dealers and distributors. I mean you pay good money for new stoves because of the guarantees.

Plus, changing the convection motor is like a 10 minute job, very easy. 1) unplug the stove, 2) disconnect the motor connections and 3) undue 2 screws!!! should not take 2 weeks.

Threerun, strange that your baffle warps. Mine is still straight and true. I wonder what they changed in the material?

Ryan Zach said:
This whole season I had it running at Heat Level 5 Feed rate 1 and Combustion air trim 3(Geneva 100% Hardwood Super Premium Pellets). It seemed to burn fine, I had it installed professionally, but I don't remember the installation guys doing the Slider/Damper set-up. Is that something that should be done at installation(especially since the installation was not Free($1000))?
And will I need to replace the baffle as part of a maintenance routine? If so how much do they run when I am out of warranty? Also I noticed that the Fire Grate's paint seems to be chipping away and looking like it is starting to rust. Is this another part that is covered or would I need to replace it.

Ryan, I got the same going on in my Fire Grate. Wears away on one side. I am fine with it because at this rate it will wear out in like 4 more years. Just part of the wear and tear of being in the middle of the fire.

hwdemers said:

Would it be out of line to ask the Installers about this simple check. Should I ask them to perform this check? I myself am in the service business so I know how this can get answered...They might just tell me that the factory setting is should be fine.

Ryan Zach said:
hwdemers said:

Would it be out of line to ask the Installers about this simple check. Should I ask them to perform this check? I myself am in the service business so I know how this can get answered...They might just tell me that the factory setting is should be fine.

NO It isn't fine. It depends on the venting setup and it should be tweaked for every install! The dealers not setting them need to wake up!

Ryan Zach said:

Running it flat out is going to shorten the life span of some of these parts. How much area are you heating and how are you heating it(stove going 24/7 or stat)?

j-takeman said:
Ryan Zach said:
hwdemers said:

NO It isn't fine. It depends on the venting setup and it should be tweaker for every install! The dealers not setting them need to wake up!

Amen. Also the come factory set allthe way closed so they had to fiddel with it on set up anyway why not do it right

j-takeman said:
Ryan Zach said:

Running it flat out is going to shorten the life span of some of these parts. How much area are you heating and how are you heating it(stove going 24/7 or stat)?

I got it on a programmable thermostat(7 day 4 settings/day). I am heating a 2600sq/ft home. I keep the home at 66-70 throughout the day. Stove is located in the center of the home with a cathedral ceiling so the heat rises to the 2 bedrooms upstairs. To keep the heat down I have the ceiling fan running on low(blowing down). This pushes some of the heat back down and reaches the extremes of the rest of the home(bedroom on one extreme and Kitchen on the other extreme). So all in all it is the perfect setup, I am wondering if I am running it a little too hot though. I am burning about a bag and a half(60lbs/day).
Right now since the blower is broken, I have it set on Heat level 2 and have a small vortex fan(as close to it as I can without it melting) propped up on low to pull the heat into the room so that the heat sensor won't trip. It will trip on level 3. If anyone has a safer temporary setup than I am all ears.

Attachments

• WP_000298.jpg
    WP_000298.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 474
Ryan Zach said:
j-takeman said:
Ryan Zach said:

I got it on a programmable thermostat(7 day 4 settings/day). I am heating a 2600sq/ft home. I keep the home at 66-70 throughout the day. Stove is located in the center of the home with a cathedral ceiling so the heat rises to the 2 bedrooms upstairs. To keep the heat down I have the ceiling fan running on low(blowing down). This pushes some of the heat back down and reaches the extremes of the rest of the home(bedroom on one extreme and Kitchen on the other extreme). So all in all it is the perfect setup, I am wondering if I am running it a little too hot though. I am burning about a bag and a half(60lbs/day).
Right now since the blower is broken, I have it set on Heat level 2 and have a small vortex fan(as close to it as I can without it melting) propped up on low to pull the heat into the room so that the heat sensor won't trip. It will trip on level 3. If anyone has a safer temporary setup than I am all ears.

Using an exteral fans about all you can do.

Are you running auto/off or hi/lo before the fan quite? Letting the stove shutdown and go cold with that much sqft is iffy. I wouldn't go so low(say 68ºF) or even keep the house a steady temp. Your on the boarder line for just being big enough. Stove will struggle to raise the temps up. If you don't see a quick heat rise(2 hrs to raise 1 degree) keeping it steady is less duty on the stove. You can probably go to heat setting 3 until it gets super cold out. Probably a wash on pellet usuage too! If it really struggle to raise the temp try some of these tips once you get her all fixed up.

I had it set to Auto and the temps I setup go as low as 68 on the weekends only during the day. typically it is set for 69-72. The other heating system(Radiant floor using oil) is set to 66 in case the pellet stove fails. Haven't used oil yet this year until right now!

I've went through 2 convection blowers already and have been running since October. My problem was that my stove did not have the auger cover so I roasted the first two. After I installed the auger cover my pellet usage is way down and stove seems to be running great.

My installer did not use a guage either to check the air. I'm going to buy more pellets from my dealer tomorrow and I am going to ask him why his installer doesn't hook up the guages to ensure the stove is properly set. I'll let you guys know what he says.

I have the M55 Insert so I am not sure if the auger cover is needed on my unit.
As far as why the installer did not check with a gauge, the dealer said it was because "they typically can tell by looking at the way the fire is burning".

The Envrio rep told my dealer that by not having the auger cover that I was basically doubling the BTU output that the stove was rated for. True or untrue it does make sense and now I believe that enviro is placing the auger cover on all of the FS models. I'm heading up to get more pellets from my dealer today so I'll ask him if it's the same way for the inserts. It will be interested to see if dealers are being told the same thing across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.