EPA Efficiency Rating Vs Manufacturer's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billfrommissouri2

Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2010
Southeastern Missouri
I selected a new stove with an advertised efficiency rating of above 80%. When I get it in the back of my truck I see an EPA tag saying it has 64% efficiency.

With BTUs the manufacturer claims 50,000. The EPA tag says 50%

What's up?

A lot of funny business is at play here.

The EPA tag probably says 63% efficiency, which is the default for non-catalytic stoves (pellet stoves currently fall under that category). This is a "given" value and doesn't reflect a calculated value.

Also, the BTU rating on the EPA tag is found using that 63% efficiency. In reality, if the stove is around 80% efficient, use the formula:

8600 BTU/lb x .80 x max lb/hr feed rate

There are different ways of measuring stove efficiency, so that 80% could be plus or minus 5% or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.