EPA Engineering Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
We have a Quadrafire 7100 which was purchased in 2014 which we love. However, since the new EPA regulations have reduced emissions, it no longer is in compliance. Can someone tell me in "little bitty words" what the difference is between the old technology and the new? The 7100 has baffles, cement board and asbestos? blanket. Why can't it be retrofitted to comply? I have noticed that Quadrafire has no zero clearance, wood burning units in its product line.
I understand that we can use it until a replacement is needed. I also understand that Quadrafire is in the business to sell stoves, not retrofit them. I'm just trying to understand what has changed in the stoves in order to comply.
Thanks.

The long and the short of it is that it depends. Some stoves may have had no changes and were just retested under the new standards. Some had changes the air ratios, some went hybrid etc etc. Given the new standard only applies for new sales, and I doubt they have a clear testing path for certification of a retrofit I just makes more sense to replace or update models as needed and move on.

I'm just trying to understand what has changed in the stoves in order to comply.
You don't need to comply, there are no air police coming for you, this is how to get new stoves with better baseline emissions on the market, there is nothing for you to do, other then burn dry wood and enjoy your setup, if you need parts, they will be available for you for a long time. BTW the blanket is not asbestos, so dont worry about that either.

There's no path to retrofitting stoves because neither owners nor manufacturers are required to.

They're not allowed to sell non-compliant stoves anymore, but you are free to burn green wood mixed with oily rags in a burn barrel in your living room if you want to. (And if you survive that, you're allowed to sell the burn barrel on craigslist as long as you're not a stove dealer.)

Your stove is fully compliant and legal. Mine would not meet current regulations either. The regulations are for new stoves.

Your stove is fully compliant and legal. Mine would not meet current regulations either. The regulations are for new stoves.
Do you know in the few areas that you can't sell pre epa stoves is there any limit on what phase epa compliant stoves can be sold? Just curious.

Our state is still using the “uncertified” or pre epa as the ones that can’t be sold.