EPA Fireplace - location, location, location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joephu

Nov 19, 2007
Stonington, CT
I hear like a home, the most important thing about a fireplace is location, location, location. It makes sense that putting one on an exterior wall is the least efficient and one on the inside of the house, centrally located, would be best setup.

But, where does a corner fireplace fall regarding efficiency? I'm thinking it just a hair below an inside wall location. After all, the fireplace would located in conditioned (insulated space), right?

Depends on where the chimney is located. Anywhere inside your house will be better than on an outside wall.

joephu said:
I hear like a home, the most important thing about a fireplace is location, location, location. It makes sense that putting one on an exterior wall is the least efficient and one on the inside of the house, centrally located, would be best setup.

But, where does a corner fireplace fall regarding efficiency? I'm thinking it just a hair below an inside wall location. After all, the fireplace would located in conditioned (insulated space), right?

I assume you mean a corner where one side of the corner is an inside wall, and the other side of the corner is an outside wall.

As long as that "outside wall" side of the fireplace is also an insulated wall, then yes I would consider you to have an "inside" fireplace location. Only if part of the fireplace and chimney chase extend "out" of the main building envelope would I consider you to have an outside fireplace location.

Status
Not open for further replies.