EPDM vs Rubber vs ...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad Robinson

Aug 20, 2012
I hope I'm not revisiting an "old topic" but I'm about to build a plywood hot-water storage tank for my boiler, and I came across a vendor that sells pretty good-sized rubber sheets rated to 225F, which is higher than the EPDM ratings I'm seeing. http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/large_rubber_sheets.htm Does anybody have an opinion on using natural rubber for the tank liner?

Also, I'd like to put in a fair bit of storage... I have the space just outside my basement under a deck with good access to build and install anything above-ground. I'm torn over whether it makes more sense to build two 500-gal (4'x8'x4' less inside isoboard insulation) tanks side by side and try to work out a stratification system (which honestly just sounds complicated to me - I'm not sure I'll pull it off properly) or just go for "build it bigger".

I'm fairly confident I have the skill to pull off a robust enough construction to handle the weight and pressure. What I'm not sure of is whether heating all that water during the "shoulder season" would just make the whole thing a waste of time. I have plans to add radiant, but until I can afford that I have all hydronic baseboard. I was thinking that maybe two tanks would let me use a transfer pump or something like that to decide whether I want the second tank to be completely out of the loop. Then I can burn fewer times during mild weather mainly to satisfy DHW requirements.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.