1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ESW-Summers Heat 55-SHPEP

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by BoerBoelAmari, Dec 22, 2012.

1. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

6 is ok, especially with the longer run, but i still think 5 will be the ticket, if you already set to 6 leave it for a while, then maybe bump down to 5 to see if it holds it. max speed on exhaust blower with that rev chip in an ep board is at heat range 7 so you have a good bit of room if it will hold it there

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

Changed the LBA to 5. Will let it run for another 30 min before I shoot another video.
  3. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    ok kool, will look at it after dinner my lil girl is cooking ;)
  4. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

I went to 5 first Mike. I'll leave it there for 30 min or so.
  5. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Not sure if this helps you or not.....current settings 3-4-1.....heat 4 blower 6 currently burning Wood Pellets Co. Sorry about the family yapping in the background

6. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

That certainly helps...

To show me that something seems to be wrong with mine. How is yours vented?
  7. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    stove adapter......45.......2' horizontal to clean out tee....and up 3'....pretty standard install......

the flame was over-exposing the video...not sure how to stop that...I put video on sepia setting but it still did it...
  8. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

My stove also burns completely different without that log set in there. After I shoot the video I will shut down and pull the log set and clean out the burn pot.

Do you get all sorts of ash buildup along the window gasket? And do you lose a log of pellets bouncing out of the burnpot and into the ash tray/window wash without the log set being in there?
  9. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

So I guess the only difference between ours is I have 10 feet of rise instead of 3 feet. My pipe outside is 4".
  10. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    oops sorry.....forgot to add mine is 3"......
  11. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA

Yes...I only get a lot of ash on gasket with certain pellets...the Great Americans are terrible with ash this season/batch....the Somersets are next to no ash.....only a couple of pellets go into air wash....sometimes...but ash does get in there....
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The vent is for natural draft. As in a Power failure. Your combustion blower blows air at a much much faster rate than the natural draft is. If anything, you increased your EVL by about 10' (Clean out = 5' and about 10' of vert = 5') so your flame may be lazier?

A tall vent doesn't improve operating conditions on a pellet stove. It improves the likelyhood of not getting smoke in your house.

Your short vent had a very low EVL'. That has changed. The air flow through the stove is about the same.

If your problems are intermittent, I would suspect the pot/liner or door (is the pot seating correctly? Are you closing door and handle enough?) .

Again. The vent looks awesome. But the venting will not make it another stove (burn quality). It does make your install look much better, in my opinion, and also a legal one (A rise was needed and also needed more than 12" away).
  13. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

The pot seems to be seating correctly. As for the door, my handle rests between 5 and 6 o'clock, if you can imagine that. This is what I was told the handle should be at.
  14. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

15. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

Shut down the stove. Burn pot wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe about an inch of accumulation. Keep in mind it was only running for about 4 hours on heat setting 3. Seems consistent with what I was experiencing before.

Emptied out the burn pot and restarted the stove without the faux log set.

At 1-5-1
  16. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

No faux log set. Cleaned out burn pot. 1-5-1 on heat setting three.

17. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the burnpot again and run the stove on heat setting three at 1-5-1 w/ the log set. Maybe the burnpot had filled with ash making the LBA adjustment insignificant because the air flow was already obstructed.

Just a thought.

If anyone is in need of pipe let me know. I have a crap load of 3" pipe available. There is a posting on the sales page with pricing and availability.
  18. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Well, there is obviously a world of difference with and without the logset.....I think I would leave it out...(if it were me)
  19. imacman

imacman Guest

Comparing that flame w/ the one above with the log set, the flame w/o the log is better. Don't understand why, but it really looks livelier and shorter.

I still think you should try LBA at 6 after cleaning out the pot. Make sure all air holes are clear.
  20. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

I'll try the log set tomorrow with a clean pot at LBA 5. If I run into a lazy flame I will then shut down, clean, and change the LBA to 6 to see if there is a change. I like the log set because it keeps the pellets from bouncing forward and into the glass air wash.

I would do it tonight, but I'm pellet stoved out.
  21. imacman

imacman Guest

No, I didn't mean to put the log set back in....why would you do that ? It's obviously better without it!

Don't sweat the pellets bouncing out....the flame is what is important! If that is a big concern, but the stove runs better w/o the log, you could have a welding shop add a small "lip" to the front edge of the pot to keep them in.
  22. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

I was thinking about that as well. Modifying the burnpot with a lip. The reason for adding the log set back is this...

When I changed the LBA to 5 the stove had already been running on setting 3 at 1-4-1 for almost 4 hours. So the burnpot had filled up with ash and partially burnt pellets. If the increase in air wasn't able to make it through the mess in the pot I most likely wouldn't see a change in the flame. I'm hoping with a clean burnpot and the setting at 1-5-1 I will have the same results as I'm having now. There is only one way to tell.
  23. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

Here's the stove at heat setting 3. 1-5-1 w/ logs in place.

Keep in mind, this have only been running for about 45 minutes.

I'm gonna be leaving for the day. Will update when I get home.

24. BoerBoelAmari

BoerBoelAmari Member

Stove did pretty well for 2 days. Had to shut down and empty the burnpot. Something interesting I have found...

Along the windows there are a few areas where there seems to be some soot buildup.

Is this maybe a source of an air leak?

Attached Files:

25. slvrblkk

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    Not sure about the soot, can't really see it but what happened to the faux brick fireboard....did it break? From what I can see your ash looks ok....