Evaluating a Home Depot Makita

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Every now and again I stop in the local HD tool rental to see if they have a Makita 6401 for sale. Today they had one, for $200. It started easy but wouldn't quite hold an idle; presumably that's just a matter of a little tuning or letting it warm up a little more. (I was running it in the maintenance room in the store, so I figured running it for a few minutes was out.) More concerning was the sound at WOT; it sounded a little rough and slow, didn't seem to have that good high-speed chainsaw scream. Is it likely just set too rich, perhaps to help avoid renter damage, or might this indicate low compression? (Or just bad acoustics?) I did pick it up by the starter handle, it dropped two "stops" then held. Any other easy things to check without actual cutting or disassembly?

They said it had just come back and they needed to tune it, replace the plug, etc, so I'm going back tomorrow or saturday. It's an as-is purchase and they won't let me cut on the premises, so my options are to buy it and hope it's mostly OK (or else buy the 85cc kit from Baileys for $99), or rent it first and they'll waive the rental fee if I buy it. A bit of a hassle going back and forth so much, but nobody ever seems disappointed with their Makita/Dolmar. (Hope the Huskys don't get jealous.)

DiscoInferno said:
More concerning was the sound at WOT; it sounded a little rough and slow, didn't seem to have that good high-speed chainsaw scream. Is it likely just set too rich, perhaps to help avoid renter damage, or might this indicate low compression? (Or just bad acoustics?)

First, let me state that you are lucky! Around here, used HD 6401's are hard to get.

That sound at WOT could be good "four-stroking," which is the characteristic burble of a properly tuned saw. You want it to run rich enough to four-stroke without a load (out of wood) yet sound smooth while in the cut.

Some homeowner/landowner class saws have limiter caps on the carb tuning screws, so it's sometimes impossible to get the saw rich enough to get a good four-stroke without modifying the caps.

200 bucks is a good buy even if the thing is scored and needs a slug and jug.

If you're leery, do the rental/buy route, and when ya get it home put a proper tune on it, pull the Muffler and give it the once over.

Usually, the things are maintained pretty well, and not really used enough to break in before they get sold.

It's lucky ya found one. Snag it!!

The only complaints about the 6400 and 7900 are the air filters, and there's an upgrade for 'em available now.

Good luck to ya!!

Do it1

I did and I sorta wish I had an better excuse to put the bigger cyl/piston in it; but it just keeps doing all I ask of it. Dropped 6 20-24" Ash in an hour last week. It's also a champ for bucking.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Do it1

I did and I sorta wish I had an better excuse to put the bigger cyl/piston in it; but it just keeps doing all I ask of it. Dropped 6 20-24" Ash in an hour last week. It's also a champ for bucking.

ATB,
Mike
This ^^^ Bought mine for about $240 OTD it is 2 yrs old with 200 rentals on and it's still a good saw. My plan was to buy a BB kit or the 7900 P&C but I just can't justify that right now. It does everything I ask of it for now.

One thing I don't like about it is the dawgs just look ugly to me and it seems like they "use" up a lot of bar space. So I drew up some custom, low-profile dawgs, more in line with that of a Stihl 034 or such and gave the drawing to a friend with a waterjet. I'm hoping to have my new dawgs within a couple weeks.

you might have a market for those dogs, depending on shape and price. Lot on arborist site dolkita fans. I for one would like smaller dogs.

the air cleaner kit sis about $70 and I think was worth it. The original is just too small, slivers move through. as the air velocity through it is high. The new cover looks funky and needed some vinyl spray paint but once grey it looks ok. Andit stay clean forever.

k

Ouch. Don't go gray. Black hat is the way to go!

IMG_2978.jpg

DiscoInferno said:
Every now and again I stop in the local HD tool rental to see if they have a Makita 6401 for sale. Today they had one, for $200. It started easy but wouldn't quite hold an idle; presumably that's just a matter of a little tuning or letting it warm up a little more. (I was running it in the maintenance room in the store, so I figured running it for a few minutes was out.) More concerning was the sound at WOT; it sounded a little rough and slow, didn't seem to have that good high-speed chainsaw scream. Is it likely just set too rich, perhaps to help avoid renter damage, or might this indicate low compression? (Or just bad acoustics?) I did pick it up by the starter handle, it dropped two "stops" then held. Any other easy things to check without actual cutting or disassembly?

They said it had just come back and they needed to tune it, replace the plug, etc, so I'm going back tomorrow or saturday. It's an as-is purchase and they won't let me cut on the premises, so my options are to buy it and hope it's mostly OK (or else buy the 85cc kit from Baileys for $99), or rent it first and they'll waive the rental fee if I buy it. A bit of a hassle going back and forth so much, but nobody ever seems disappointed with their Makita/Dolmar. (Hope the Huskys don't get jealous.)
The compression should hold right away(first time the piston hits TDC). If there is some scoring in the piston this is probably no big deal as its hard to scratch the Nikasil coating of the cylinder. You just free up the rings or replace rings & assemble. The best test is to put the saw on the floor, get your shoe on it & pull over real slowly, it should only leak down very slowly, Randy

When I went back for the saw it was still sitting where I had left it, but the same guy told me that now it wasn't for sale. Some mumbo jumbo about maintaining a minimum number of rental units on hand, said he couldn't sell any until the two new ones he had on order came in. We'll see, meanwhile I'm hedging my bets and calling the other stores in the area. I'm looking to get into some milling so a cheap larger saw would be handy.

kevin j said:
you might have a market for those dogs, depending on shape and price. Lot on arborist site dolkita fans. I for one would like smaller dogs.

the air cleaner kit sis about $70 and I think was worth it. The original is just too small, slivers move through. as the air velocity through it is high. The new cover looks funky and needed some vinyl spray paint but once grey it looks ok. Andit stay clean forever.

k
I figured they would be a hit once a picture of them. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to sell them.

If it needs a piston/jug keep an eye open for a good used or even new 64cc set up as lots of people upgrade to the 79cc/84cc kits and will have the 64cc stuff laying around. I know I will eventually when I get around to installing the 79cc jug/piston... just have not done it yet because I find the saw powerfull enough at this time.

3fordasho said:
If it needs a piston/jug keep an eye open for a good used or even new 64cc set up as lots of people upgrade to the 79cc/84cc kits and will have the 64cc stuff laying around. I know I will eventually when I get around to installing the 79cc jug/piston... just have not done it yet because I find the saw powerfull enough at this time.
Yes, if you don't mind sticking with the 6400 P&C they're available very, very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.