Everything is wet... bleh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
So until this afternoon it was about 50 degrees here in NH. Unseasonably warm and raining for two days. My stacks got soaked and they were covered.

I cleaned out the Oslo and tried to fire it up this evening. Took a long time because all the wood is soaked. It did get going and got a good enough coal bed to reload for overnight. That was about 30 minuets ago and I’m still sitting here listening to all the wood hiss and sizzle. Think I’m gonna invest this years Xmas bonus in a soot eater and the rest in a wood shed.

Yes. Build a simple woodshed. Made my life much more easier. Just make sure you have an clear path when snow is 3' deep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slocum
Yeah, that rain was a beast up here in NH. Not sure where in the state you're located however I don't think the thermometer ever broke 40 here. If it did, with the wind, it sure didn't feel very warm. Now there is nothing but an inch or more of solid ice on any surface that isn't covered in snow.

Definitely recommend some type of shed. If you don't have time, just get one of the smaller Rhino canvas shelters. I know several people that use those for wood storage/drying. As long as you keep the snow knocked off them they can last a long time.

The pattern we’re in with a smiley face low over the US funnels an atmospheric river over the south up to the north. Every week it rains. In Wilmington NC they are 100” over in rain! That’s nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were close to 80 inches in Massachusetts

I keep 2 cords in wood shed that consists of roof and four psots holding it up. The end facing the prevailing weather has a permanent tarp and in the winter I have a tarp that hangs down and is secured on the left and right side with some scrap wood and deck screws. The back is open but has a decent overhang that is up against some dense fir trees. The downwind side is open but has wood stacked up next to it. I use other wood piled up in conventional covered stacks for the early season but keep the covered stack in reserve for later in the winter. If we get weather like this I can always raid the wood in the woodshed, otherwise I just switch over to the woodshed when I am looking at the middle to tail end of winter. When I refill the woodshed in the spring I put in some well dried wood and leave the front tarp off until fall and start over again.

yep, bad summer here also between the extra high humidity and rain ,and rain , and ra...... even my splits that were dry are wet.

A couple weeks I had hauled a few cart loads of wood down and stacked and covered it outside by a side door right by the stove room. Brought the last of it in this am after having that rain that all of on the east coast got (we had about 3"), this last satchel full being the splits closest to the ground. Well its definitely picked up some moisture. I expect after a night inside it will be fine but my last stove load is bringing back bad memories.

This past summer was extremely wet, specially towards the end there. I had split and stacked almost a cord of sugar maple and it was well under 20% by the time I got the stove installed in November and burned real nice. That was uncovered the entire summer.

I guess during the long days of summer you can get away with bad weeks of high moisture and rain. Two rainy days in the winter with only 7 hours of direct sunlight, forget about it.

I should have no issues getting a shed built come summer. I’ll just weekend warrior it until it’s done. I’m thinking three sided, maybe 8 - 12 cord shed. Until then I’m stacking next to the stove until it drys out.

Yeah, that rain was a beast up here in NH. Not sure where in the state you're located however I don't think the thermometer ever broke 40 here. If it did, with the wind, it sure didn't feel very warm. Now there is nothing but an inch or more of solid ice on any surface that isn't covered in snow.

Definitely recommend some type of shed. If you don't have time, just get one of the smaller Rhino canvas shelters. I know several people that use those for wood storage/drying. As long as you keep the snow knocked off them they can last a long time.

I live in the lakes region area. Gilmanton. It peaked at 51 and just kept on raining. All our snow and ice is gone. I actually spent the day today raking grass and making dump runs.

I brought maybe half a face cord inside and I’m letting it dry. We got company coming over for the holidays. I figure if I can dry this wood out and keep the stove screaming they’ll get cooked out and leave early.

I live in the lakes region area. Gilmanton. It peaked at 51 and just kept on raining. All our snow and ice is gone. I actually spent the day today raking grass and making dump runs.

I brought maybe half a face cord inside and I’m letting it dry. We got company coming over for the holidays. I figure if I can dry this wood out and keep the stove screaming they’ll get cooked out and leave early.

Hard to picture no snow down there when we still have 1-2 feet in most places with 5-7 foot high snow banks. I'll send you some of our ice. I have to use micro-spikes just to walk to the wood shed.

I'm still waiting on real winter here. Got down to about 38 last night with a little rain. Was supposed to get to freezing but never made. Even the wood in the shed for over a year, some the ends have green mold on them. Good thing is on the inside they're still <200%. I have a run down old two car garage with tin roof and dirt floor which is my staging area for splitting and storage ( doors open of course) even if it's raining. Can fit about 8 cords in there if I need to. So far so good:). Only problem is getting outside with the saw when it's frozen. Only been twice so far this winter. Otherwise to muddy and water flowing where it shouldn't be. Kevin

I've also been wondering how long it will take for wet wood to dry once brought into a dry space (sunroom in my case). I'm thinking a week or two for it to get back to the 5 - 6% moisture content it was at when I got it (Kiln Dried)

I've also been wondering how long it will take for wet wood to dry once brought into a dry space (sunroom in my case). I'm thinking a week or two for it to get back to the 5 - 6% moisture content it was at when I got it (Kiln Dried)

Thats not going to happen. Once out of the kiln it will want to regain some moisture. As long as its below 20%MC your ok.. if its 15% it will never go back down to 6% unless you put it back in the kiln

Thats not going to happen. Once out of the kiln it will want to regain some moisture. As long as its below 20%MC your ok.. if its 15% it will never go back down to 6% unless you put it back in the kiln

So I checked it today after I brought some in and it was about 22% after being in some heavy rain. Will be interested to see what it goes down to in a few days. I won’t need it for another couple of weeks but good to see how it does.

Hard to picture no snow down there when we still have 1-2 feet in most places with 5-7 foot high snow banks. I'll send you some of our ice. I have to use micro-spikes just to walk to the wood shed.
Big gradient between southern New Hampshire/Vermont and southern new england so far this year.

Reactions: Slocum and EODMSgt
So I checked it today after I brought some in and it was about 22% after being in some heavy rain. Will be interested to see what it goes down to in a few days. I won’t need it for another couple of weeks but good to see how it does.

If your at 22 and its just surface moisture that was picked up, it will drop some. It may drop to 20 or a little under, keeping it near the fire. For a few days. I haven't seen wood going sub 10% with out any help with in a couple of years.. here the good part. Your wood is at 22 so keep it by the fire and dry it to 20. Its still burnable..

This summer convinced me that tarps aren't sufficient in my climate. Only question is whether to replace tarps with metal roofing, or go full shed.

I have 12x 1-cord racks with an aisle between them for loading and driving the cart. This keeps me on a 3-year seasoning cycle.

I wonder if it would be a good tradeoff to shorten that to 2-years, to allow me to build a more reasonably sized 2-bay 4-cord shed. A 12-cord shed is going to be a monster, and hard to unload bays without re-stacking the same wood twice...

Last edited:
This summer convinced me that tarps aren't sufficient in my climate. Only question is whether to replace tarps with metal roofing, or go full shed.

I have 12x 1-cord racks with an aisle between them for loading and driving the cart. This keeps me on a 3-year seasoning cycle.

I wonder if it would be a good tradeoff to shorten that to 2-years, to allow me to build a more reasonably sized 2-bay 4-cord shed. A 12-cord shed is going to be a monster, and hard to unload bays without re-stacking the same wood twice...
I was thinking six vertical bays on either side with an aisle running down the middle. Load the dry wood from the outside of the shed and pull the stuff ready to burn from the inside. With a twelve cord shed I could get ahead four years and not have to worry about replenishing until three years down the road.

Another good way is to build several covered wood racks that hold a couple cords each, easy to keep track of the wood, it's probably requires a little more space.

Has anyone used one of the shelter logic seasoning cover it?

Attachments

• Everything is wet... bleh
    image.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 110