Everything is wet... bleh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Another good way is to build several covered wood racks that hold a couple cords each, easy to keep track of the wood, it's probably requires a little more space.

That's basically what I have now, just 1-cord racks instead of 2-cord racks. Yes it takes up a lot of space, but it's set off in the woods and doesn't "feel" big compared to a shed that size. The racks are double rows of 18-inch splits. I'm thinking of covering them with 36" metal roofing panels, but I'm concerned that having no overhand would leave the ends to get wet.

I was thinking six vertical bays on either side with an aisle running down the middle. Load the dry wood from the outside of the shed and pull the stuff ready to burn from the inside. With a twelve cord shed I could get ahead four years and not have to worry about replenishing until three years down the road.

Do you have a sketch? Double-pitch roof, or a lean-to? Would the roof span the center aisle, or leave that open?

Has anyone used one of the shelter logic seasoning cover it?

I haven't, but I would be concerned about long-term durability of those covers. As I drive around my area, I see so many of those things with shredded covers where people have patched it over with tarps, etc. I don't want to replace the cover every 3-5 years. I want the next shed I build to be my last.

snow load, hail and wind are the down fall of those Shelter logic units.

Has anyone used one of the shelter logic seasoning cover it?

I know several people that use those (up here most are Rhino shelters but the same type of system as Shelter Logic) and they like them. It's like anything else, as long as you take care of them, they will last. I've had a 24' long one for over six years that I keep the tractor, wood chipper, log splitter and other items in and it has no problems. I keep the snow off with a poly blade roof rake (I now use the snow blower to get rid of the knocked off snow from along the sides but used to let it just build up with no issues). We have extremely high winds here and I have mine staked in pretty well so no problems there either. My doors are vented but it still gets moisture buildup inside during humid months so take that into consideration.

I built a firewood shed many years ago so I don't use the Rhino shelter for firewood although I could if I wanted to. I think a well built shed is the better route for controlling moisture but for a temporary fix, these work. Also, depending on where you are, you don't need a permit for the shelters because technically they are not considered a permanent structure.

Reactions: Slocum
Do you have a sketch? Double-pitch roof, or a lean-to? Would the roof span the center aisle, or leave that open?
I made a few rough sketches for it. It would be an open gable roof. I may still have the blueprint on my computer.

The last time I had a prefab or “fake” shed it blew away in the wind. I found it about 60 yards away laying in the brook. That was a metal shed bolted to a PT platform. The roof was also caving in due to snow load. For the cost of one the size I’m looking for, I could build a decent one for a little extra. It would be on piers poured 4’ underground.

Reactions: twd000
Not to hijack the post. I was looking for opinions on the shelter logic that was built to season wood. Any opinions if it is BS? A nice woodshed is in my plan but not for 5-6 years I want to clear some land and level it off before I build a woodshed

And yet another wet day in the mid-Atlantic tomorrow. Two inches rain and 50 on tap. So it's going to stay wet into next year<>.

And yet another wet day in the mid-Atlantic tomorrow. Two inches rain and 50 on tap. So it's going to stay wet into next year<>.
Same here. Supposed to be 40 tomorrow, also rained all day. Fog was thick coming home. For nearly January this is odd. Should be 3’ of snow on the ground by now. Must be that elnino thing.

Not to hijack the post. I was looking for opinions on the shelter logic that was built to season wood. Any opinions if it is BS? A nice woodshed is in my plan but not for 5-6 years I want to clear some land and level it off before I build a woodshed
I think at this point anything is better than stacks left out. Even covered we’re having issues keeping wood dry outside.

This year has been different for sure.. all of my wood is nice and dry. But its been terrible just getting the wood to the house. Im having to keep filling the wood rack at the house. We need to waite inbetween the rain storms and trying not to make a mess of the yard.

Yes it has been a bit of a pain. Having to pick my spots to haul.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/simple-pallet-firewood-rack.167322/
We had plenty of rain this summer, but thanks to my simple racks my wood is ready to burn.
I just put up a rack for the 13th cord yesterday, I can't build anymore until I get another load of pallets.
I currently have 12 cords stacked and seasoning, and another couple split, waiting to be stacked.

The ends of the splits do get wet when it rains, but they also dry out nicely. I figure a little water on the ends won't overcome the fact that 90 percent of each split is always dry.

I can see how much they've dried already by noting how much the stacks have shrunk. When I stack, I fill all the gaps at the top with small splits, I figure it doesn't matter how tightly they're stacked, in three years it will be seasoned

Whelp... Yesterday, I attempted to haul a load of ash across my neighbors access way to where I do my splitting. Truck ended up stuck in six inches of mud in his lawn. Tore it up bad. Guess what I will be doing this New Year’s Eve....

Absolutely no reason it wouldn't work. Put it in the right spot (sunny), and make sure it's venting correctly, and it'll get hot inside like your car does in the sun.

I've been wondering about these myself for several years. Not whether it'll dry wood faster- it will- but whether they are durable enough to last at least 5 years that I'd want, to spend $400+ on.

If you get one, tie everything down tight, keep the snow off, and perhaps add some padding to stress points like corners, where the cover hits the frame.

Absolutely no reason it wouldn't work. Put it in the right spot (sunny), and make sure it's venting correctly, and it'll get hot inside like your car does in the sun.

I've been wondering about these myself for several years. Not whether it'll dry wood faster- it will- but whether they are durable enough to last at least 5 years that I'd want, to spend $400+ on.

If you get one, tie everything down tight, keep the snow off, and perhaps add some padding to stress points like corners, where the cover hits the frame.

I know the OP was asking about the shed they advertise as a 'firewood drying shed' and I don't know of anyone that has ever used that specific shed. I doubt it would really work as well as they advertise but it would still work.

As for the regular Shelter Logic and Rhino shelters, those can stand up fine as long as you take care of them. The picture below is a 24' Rhino shelter. The picture was taken in early 2013 (the shed was already 2-3 years old) and it's still going strong today with no issues. I now clear lanes on the sides using the snow blower but other than that, they aren't bad.
IMG_0664.JPG

I finally got around to fixing one of my newer stacks that had been toppled by a falling branch a couple of months ago. What a mess! The fallen splits were sopping wet from lying in mud. In past years I would have restacked immediately but between the weather and other obligations I let it slide. I just hope 2019 brings some nicer weather!

More rain today.... We are way, way above average for rain.

I spent the day raking and tamping out the high spots after I tore up my neighbors grass trying to haul a load of wood in. The rain needs to stop and a hard freeze is much needed.

The pic is after I cleaned it up.

Attachments

• ED285FA5-4735-4B27-9491-BBB03C2B9DC2.png
    ED285FA5-4735-4B27-9491-BBB03C2B9DC2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
I would be more tempted to buy one of those harbor freight green houses than a tent, and expect it to last longer

I would be more tempted to buy one of those harbor freight green houses than a tent, and expect it to last longer
Those dont last that long unless they've made them a little tougher. I was reading about them on another forum and some people came up with a way to make them last longer. Better off I think making some of poindexter racks.

We had a good spell of a few sunny days. Then some wet snow/sleet came in. Looks like another warm day with rain coming on Saturday... My current woodpile is almost gone so It doesn't bother me too much. Have another cord coming next week. Can't wait until I can spend some time in the woods getting ahead for next winter.

I don't like trying to burn otherwise decent wood when its wet, at the same time it's not requiring much to heat the house currently. Just a warm wet winter.

Hope everyone had a good holiday. I spent mine doing target practice on rats. Not sure where they came from but need to get them out.