Excessive Ash - Not your typical issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RayRay1

Jan 14, 2019
First time posting and I know there are many posts regarding ash build-up but mine seems to be different.

Pellet Insert: Quadrafire Santa Fe.

Issue: Excessive ash buildup on glass. I cannot see inside the stove after 12-18 hours of use. I have to clean the window every morning.

Maintenance:
Unit is professionally cleaned once a year by the dealer (including chimney liner)
I clean the ash pot daily (service tech said it's immaculate).
Remove ash daily
I perform weekly maintenance (remove baffle and the faux brick walls on each side [sorry not sure what they're called] and clean out ash etc.)

Pellets:
I do not burn box store pellets.

I usually burn Energex. The dealer suggested I burn 5 bags of Hamers Hot Ones to see if there is a difference. No difference - same issue.

Dealer called Quadrafire and suggested I check the Tadpole Gasket: the gasket new this year and the round portion is on the "hinge side" of the door.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First time posting and I know there are many posts regarding ash build-up but mine seems to be different.

Pellet Insert: Quadrafire Santa Fe.

Issue: Excessive ash buildup on glass. I cannot see inside the stove after 12-18 hours of use. I have to clean the window every morning.

Maintenance:
Unit is professionally cleaned once a year by the dealer (including chimney liner)
I clean the ash pot daily (service tech said it's immaculate).
Remove ash daily
I perform weekly maintenance (remove baffle and the faux brick walls on each side [sorry not sure what they're called] and clean out ash etc.)

Pellets:
I do not burn box store pellets.

I usually burn Energex. The dealer suggested I burn 5 bags of Hamers Hot Ones to see if there is a difference. No difference - same issue.

Dealer called Quadrafire and suggested I check the Tadpole Gasket: the gasket new this year and the round portion is on the "hinge side" of the door.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The AirWash on the door is what will keep the glass from quickly fogging-up. On my SantaFe the AirWash is at the bottom of the door. There is no gasket seal there.

The AirWash on the door is what will keep the glass from quickly fogging-up. On my SantaFe the AirWash is at the bottom of the door. There is no gasket seal there.

That I understand..there is no gasket on the bottom....is there a way to see if the airways is defective..ie take it out for inspection? Or is it part of the frame?