Excessive Pellet Dust coming out of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
Hi all,
Long time since I've visited. I was looking to see if what I'm seeing is normal and if not, is there anything I can do about it. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. I've had this stove for about 12 years and when I 1st started burning I would see some dust but very little dust outside the stove on the door in front of the glass. My concern is that over the years I've been seeing more and more dust from the pellets ending up on the outside of the stove. The pellets I use don't have an excessive amount of dust in them and I clean the stove quite often. Is there any explanation of why so much dust is coming out of the stove as the years have gone on? You can see all the dust in the picture, this is pretty normal lately.

dust.jpg

Enviro, Milan 2010 is when I bought it. It may look like ash but it's not. When I rub my fingers across the door it's dust on my fingers. Maybe I'm crazy and it is ash, would it be normal for that much ash or dust to end up outside the stove?

Well, the stove will attract dust, but if you feel sure it is coming out of the convection blower vents, I would take a good look at the dirt dust behind it,next time you pull it out of the chimney. Perhaps it is sucking in dust from the chimney.

UH, as you were typing I suppose. I happened to look behind the stove and there is dust sitting behind the stove. There appears to be a small whole in the hopper, looks like the weld slightly let go, and there is pellet dust falling out. The blower must be sucking it up and back out. Seems like more than there should be but I gather that's the issue. I checked behind there a few months ago and saw nothing but this time I can see it, so either the weld break is getting bigger or I just missed it.

Reactions: Mt Bob
UH, as you were typing I suppose. I happened to look behind the stove and there is dust sitting behind the stove. There appears to be a small whole in the hopper, looks like the weld slightly let go, and there is pellet dust falling out. The blower must be sucking it up and back out. Seems like more than there should be but I gather that's the issue. I checked behind there a few months ago and saw nothing but this time I can see it, so either the weld break is getting bigger or I just missed it.
Hi heat silver tape, or sealer. Or both.