Pellets on Hear Exchanger - Reason to be worried?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
If you take a look at the picture, I have pellets that end up on the lip (I don't know what to call it) outside where the heat comes out. When I first bought the stove this never happened. As the years have gone on it's getting worse and worse and more and more pellets end up on that lip. Is this something I should be worried about, I'm just curious if this is a sign of something being wrong with the stove or if it just happens. It's curious that over the last few years this has started to happen.

pellets.jpg

I would be wanting to know where they came from and how they got there
From inside the stove(fire Box) or just pellet spill when filling the stove?

Reactions: Washed-Up
They do not look charred from here ... they do look like spillage from when refilling. I tried changing contrast, etc ... but they do not look charred. They do look like mashed and broken pellets.

If they are charred, then they were burnt embers that somehow got into the room air part of the heat exchanger, like a crack or not shut cleanout door? I'm not familiar with your stove or it's structure.

If not charred, they aren't from the burn pot.

pellets.jpg

Last edited:
Mouse?