Excited to start heating with my new Piazzetta!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheap4heat

Nov 29, 2013
Berlin, NH
Hey all!

First of all, I want to hank everyone in the Pellet Mill for helping me out so far. This maybe my first forum post but after all my research and all I have read I have decided to purchase my first pellet stove. I put a deposit down on a new Piazzetta Sabrina last week, and ill be picking it up on monday. I purchased the stove from Eased Edges in Laconia, NH. If anyone has any interest in pellet/wood heating I definitely recommend stopping in I have dealt mostly with Bob and he is very knowledgable and willing to take time to answer any questions you might have.

Hopefully you guys are willing and around to answer future questions because i am opting to do my own thru the wall install.

here are a couple right now…

1. what are the opinions on simpson duravent brand venting? it seems like it is the most common venting I've seen but is it good quality and are there better products out there I should go with instead? I have purchased a 3" duravent kit for $200 but left it in the box because I'm not sure if I'm going to go with it.

2. is it worth spending $250 on a ash vac? are there recommended ash vac brands out there?

Thank you all again! I will be posting pictures and continue to post on progress of my stove. looking forward to save on oil!

Congrats on the new stove ... what colour did you get?

We used Bio-Vent for our Ecoteck - they have a stove adapter specific to the Ecotecks to accommodate the metric size exhaust on our Italian stove. I like the silicone gaskets on these pipes (they are replaceable but no issues to date). For our horizontal install, basic kit and one 3' length (around $300 at site below, our dealer charged us $345:()
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/50465/Pellet-Vent-Pipe.html

Congrats on the new stove ... what colour did you get?

We used Bio-Vent for our Ecoteck - they have a stove adapter specific to the Ecotecks to accommodate the metric size exhaust on our Italian stove. I like the silicone gaskets on these pipes (they are replaceable but no issues to date). For our horizontal install, basic kit and one 3' length (around $300 at site below, our dealer charged us $345:()
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/50465/Pellet-Vent-Pipe.html

Thanks for the link lake girl, we got matte gray color. My wife likes the more traditional looking stove, she didn't care for the enamel… haha I got the stove i want so i could care less the color.

Depending on what your going to use, maybe buy just the parts you need. Wall thimble, pipe section(3 ft) and termination by the last time I checked was around $100

Don't forget the OAK and surge protection:)
And a roll of self bonding silicone tape for any pesky smoke leaking joints. Smoke and CO detector for any room with a heating appliance for safety. Rash of fires now that we are in extreme cold, more frequent the longer the cold spell.

Congratulations on the new stove! I really like their products...

I own two shop vacs and a dedicated ash vacuum. The suction on the ash vacuum is not very good. I generally don't use it and instead use one of my shop vacs with decent particle filtration. The key is making sure the stove and potential ash is cool.

2. is it worth spending $250 on a ash vac? are there recommended ash vac brands out there?
Congratulations and welcome.
As stayfitz stated above a shop vac with a drywall filter will work fine. Just make sure the stove and ashes are cold when cleaning and vacuuming. I keep my shop vac outside 24 hours after I clean the stove for safety. Then back in the basement. $250 will heat your home for 5 to 6 weeks but you make the call on this one

1. what are the opinions on simpson duravent brand venting? it seems like it is the most common venting I've seen but is it good quality and are there better products out there I should go with instead? I have purchased a 3" duravent kit for $200 but left it in the box because I'm not sure if I'm going to go with it.

Congrats! I just installed a Sabrina 2 weeks ago. My shop sold me Excel pellet venting, which has silicon gaskets, and was very easy to put together. I've seen the Simpson Duravent everywhere just like you and bought the same $200 kit from HD, but since I needed some extra pieces, to get up and over my eave, I decided to go with my shop's advice. I figure the silicon gaskets may be easier to take apart to clean. The Excel venting was not cheap from my shop, but it does seem to work well.

I had been using a shopvac to clean my Sabrina, which worked well on cold ashes, but I bought a $99 PowerSmith locally. My preference is for more suction, and the PowerSmith had the most amps. I see from these boards, a lot of people also bought PowerSmiths for much less!

Oh, forgot to add, since this is my first post here, I don't have a surge or UPS on my Sabrina, but do have a surge protector on my breaker box, and a whole-house backup generator. The power went out last week, and there were no problems at all. As for an OAK, I ordered one, but the shop didn't have an Excel OAK exhaust thimble combo, so I'm currently running without an OAK. I'll install one shortly.

Thanks everyone for the comments,

I picked up my new sabrina today cant wait to get it hooked up! I decided to pick up a cheap-o ash vac for now it has a double hepa finlter so it should do fine. i did however decide to return my duravent and purchase a more high end vent pipe with silicone gasket not positve the brand name but much better quality. i still need a hearth and an OAK. so ill be working on that this week, cant wait to start burning pellets! hopefully ill have time for the install on saturday. more pictures to come!

btw any creative ideas to save money on a hearth?

Reactions: EastMtn
btw any creative ideas to save money on a hearth?
Congrats, if you can tile, you can make your own. Sort of depends on what you have in place already. I was lucky because as you can barely make out in my avatar, I don't have a finished floor yet down in my kitchen where my Sabrina is located. On top of Advantech sub flooring, I screwed down one wall sheet of Hardibacker, which is twice as thick as the floor sheet of Hardibacker. Then I took left over 18" limestone tiles, which are thicker than normal tiles, and laid them in marble adhesive. Super easy. Of course, I miscentered where I thought the Sabrina exhaust vent would go out, so my Sabrina is not in the middle, but that's okay.

If your location has a building code, be sure to ask your code officer first.

A cousin of my stove, enjoy and best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.