Expansion tank location hang or floor? Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
Running the pipe to expansion tank tomorrow. I was going to hang it but I have the Elbi XT-90. It seems Kind of big to put on a shelf, and pipe to bottom of air separator with 1/2" copper.

I have attached some pictures below.

Options

1.Build a shelf above wye strainer and place there.

2. Leave on floor as in picture and pipe from there.

3. Build a shelf high in the corner near chimeny and pipe down to the air sep.

What seems to be best option?

Should I use copper or 1/2" pex to pipe to air spirovent

gg

Attachments

• boilerpipe1.jpg
    boilerpipe1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 323
  • econoburntank.jpg
    econoburntank.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 329
Wrap a metal band around it and hang it off the unistrut to the left of the air purger, on it's side. Pipe to the purger with copper for extra stability. I had a sheetmetal shop roll a bunch of bands for that type of mount. Heavy gauge plumbers tape works also.

Check and adjust the pre-charge pressure when you hang it.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 22.png
    Picture 22.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 279
in hot water said:
Wrap a metal band around it and hang it off the unistrut to the left of the air purger, on it's side. Pipe to the purger with copper for extra stability. I had a sheetmetal shop roll a bunch of bands for that type of mount. Heavy gauge plumbers tape works also.

Check and adjust the pre-charge pressure when you hang it.

hr

Thanks! that is a good idea. I might have to put it on the uinistrut to the right. My no power dump is going up on the left end of the supply.

Are you saying put it up above the spirovent?

The manifold of 5 sections of 8' slantfins is made and going up tomorrow. suspended from the ceiling.

gg

I don't believe it maters if it's above or below the spirovent on a closed tank. I'm thinking of building a shelf for mine to gain some floor space/wood storage since I have a 12' tall cieling. Pex or copper will both work fine. I'm
using pex so I can easily move it around if need be.

A contractor friend in Colorado builds a rack, or shelf with unistrut, suspended from the ceiling. Then he lines up tanks on their side. This is a great space saver in tight spaces and also allows him to use a series of small, #30 inexpensive tanks instead of the large floor mounts tanks. I visited a fire station job he did recently and he had 6 tanks in a row for the boiler and glycol side of the radiant and snowmelt. These he mounted above the door into the small mechanical room, a great use of open space.

Pex is nice for serviceability or copper with a fip/ copper adapter or union. Copper does help keep them straight and plumb better than pex. PAP works nicely also.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.