Expansion Tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eriesigtau

Jun 15, 2010
Titusville, PA
Is it ok to reduce the size of the pipe going to a large expansion tank? Mine is a extrol SX-90 and I reduced the pipe size from 1-1/4 coming out of the tank to 1" and then to 1/2". My primary loop is 1" but I wanted to connect the tank to the pressure reducing valve and air bleeder which were only 1/2". Anyone see this as a problem and if so, what lind of problems could result?

your all set as far as i can see. there is no flow there. install a ball valve in line so if the tank fails you can shut it off and change the tank without draining your system. they do go bad.

I use 1/2" from my storage to expansion. as 2.beans said, there is no "flow" where you are trying to move 1000's of BTU/minute, just slow expansion as you heat up.

If you were using the large expansion tank for domestic water then you would want a larger diameter pipe to provide the flow when the demand called for it. Does not apply to a closed heating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.