Experimental passive solar wood kilns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The short version seems to be to avoid case hardening (moisture trapped inside each split) I need to dry my stacks gently down to and just below the Fiber Saturation Point (FSP) before I really crank up the heat to force the last of the water out.

Why are you worried about case hardening? Case hardening is bad for lumber (stresses and internal cracks), but I don't know why that's a problem with firewood. I say let 'er rip as fast as you can with firewood.

You really don't want to hold yourself to lumber standards because then you also need to worry out about end checking, which has afflicted nearly every piece of dry firewood any of us has ever burned. :eek:

Reactions: Oldman47
I am concerned about pulling out too much moisture too fast to end up with case hardened splits that are dry on the outside and a bunch of water trapped within.

Hasn't been a problem with any solar kiln I've ever read about. Never even read about any body worrying about it until this thread.

I think the solar powered fan is your best bet for ventilation. Free energy, no digging trenches to run electricity, and it turns itself off at night when you don't want it running and pulling in damp air.

So two comments about case hardening same day, I'll step up to those here directly.

Construction is on hold for now because my charity cord is homeless. Every year I stack one cord of the 8-10 that I process to give away. You would think giving away a cord of seasoned wood in Alaska in December would be easy. Usually the men's group from my church is here within a week when I tell them the cord is ready, with a big trailer and a bunch of guys and away it goes. It is still here this year and it is in the way of my new construction project. I guess everyone has enough wood this year ;-) In the fullness of time, in the fullness of time.

In the meantime, case hardening.

When I open an air dried piece of primo seasoned birch, I expect to find about 16% MC down close to the bark half way between the ends of the split. Smack in the middle of a freshly split face, maybe 14ish %, and around the edges of the freshly split face, 12%.

Like in this picture:

2splits.JPG

So lets back up and think about case hardening. In our lifetimes, 1900 to present, the most common place to see the words "case hardened" was on a padlock. Like on our lockers in high school. What the lock makers were doing was building the locks out of relatively inexpensive steel, and then case hardening the surface of the lock. It is a relatively simple, repeatable heat treatment that makes the surface of the metal bar, or the lock shackle much harder than the original steel was.

Pre 1900 case hardening was used to strengthen firearms. Even in the mid 1700s the lock parts of a flintlock would be case hardened before final assembly so the rubbing surfaces wouldn't wear each other out as quickly. Hard on hard instead of soft on soft. On civil war era revolvers, case hardening is the process (using bone chunks and charcoal in a small furnaces) that causes the mottled colors on the receivers.

Case hardened wood is the same concept - a heat treatment that hardens the surface - but the end result is water (potentially a lot of it) trapped inside a board that feels dry on the outside. As above.

It sounds to me like FionaD got into some case hardened cord wood splits in this thread, https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/seriously-thinking-about-giving-up-on-burning-wood.149234/ , specifically:

FionaD said:
I've measured some 'kiln dried' splits up to 45% at their core!

In general, any split that explodes like popcorn inside my stove when water trapped inside flashes to steam is a bad thing. Likewise, any water trapped inside above the fiber saturation point is a bad thing.

Using the general variables L sub r, L sub t and L sub l to represent the movement of water radially, tangentially and lengthwise, the quickest way to get to fiber saturation point is to maximize L sub l, lengthwise motion of liquid water through the existing tubules via capillary action. Once the tubules (vertical in tree and lengthwise in the split) are empty, all further drying is by diffusion and the lengthwise water loss is no longer 10x the radial and tangential - because it is all diffusion now. The cellulose fiber is all still saturated with water, but the tubules are empty. It's the capillary action that makes L sub l so fast.

So once I get to FSP in my kiln all further drying will be by diffusion, capillary action is done and case hardening is no longer a significant concern. That is to say once capillary movement is done, it doesn't matter how small the tubules shrink at the ends of the splits in a hot kiln because all further drying is via diffusion anyway.

Cranking the kiln up and shrinking the ends of the tubules before capillary action is finished is where the risk of popcorn splits arises.

Come on I have been commercially solar kiln drying logs for over 5 years and have never had any examples of case hardened logs. Where on earth are you drying these logs if you think you can get them case hardened in the sahara desert.

Reactions: Ashful
Poindexter,

As far as I know, case hardening metal items (for example, gears) changes the metallurgy to increase strength. However, I have never heard that causing stress in the outer layer of wood changes the ability of the wood to diffuse water.

In a former life I operated an R&D lumber dry kiln and developed the drying schedules. I never read or observed that case hardening slowed down drying. I never saw "If you dry lumber too quickly it might take too long and cause case hardening." Rather, it was "If you dry too quickly it might cause case hardening."

I'm always learning something new so maybe I'm wrong, but you can give it a shot and compare both ways and tell us what you find. (I didn't have time to read FionaD's whole thread).

By the way, kudos for giving away a cord of wood each year. Merry Christmas!

Making some progress.

Finally got the corner of my L shaped wood pile cleared out, all the rest justifies to the one corner.

corner.JPG

And I took five pallets to the dump. That was a GREAT feeling.

byebye.JPG

Now the real work begins. I am not going to do this every year (thank God), but it is worth it to me to do it once and get it done. The pictured cinderblock needs to drop 1/4" to be within half a bubble of all its peers (piers?). Not pictured is the sledge hammer I needed to break the cinderblock loose from the frozen ground.

Some folks process wood in the summer months and need, likely, gallons of gatorade. I deal with my wood during the months the stove is running and I can sip on some scotch while I am working. In the summer when the stove is idle I like to stroll around my woodpile in a pith helmet with a gin and tonic in one hand and a riding crop in the other as I watch the pile gain value as it loses moisture - when I am not out camping or boating or fishing or etcetera.

Total pain in the neck, this part of the project, but it is worth it to me to have a stash at 14% instead of 18% MC.

quarterinch.JPG

Hope ( I mean I really smurfing hope) to build the first module this weekend.

renewablejohn, doubleB, you are correct. Case hardening iron (in bone and charcoal) introduces a tiny bit of carbon to the surface of the item, making steel and indeed changing the metallurgy of the surface of the piece. However, padlocks and etc can be case hardened with heat only, no added carbon, just changing the temper of the surface of the original steel. The induction hardened working surface of the Peddinghaus anvil by Rigid is another example of no change in chemistry to go with basic padlocks.

I don't know how much wet bulb depression I can get with just passive solar, but I am by golly going to find out. Dual dry/wet bulb thermometers start at $10 on amazon...

I got up with a guy in the last couple months that makes log cabins. He is felling standing spruce now while he can drag the logs out of the woods to his truck without getting mud on them. Once his yard is full he will peel the bark off all the fresh logs, and then season the peeled logs for one summer on a rack that holds the peeled logs 2 feet up off the ground. He has several acres tied up in this process, but the logs he felled a year ago that aren't acceptable for cabin building measure 20-24% MC and how much I have to pay for them depends entirely on how fast I can get them out of his way. This (that?) wood is already well below FSP. I am taking every stick I can get and I am going to roast them hard.

I am hoping to get this wood down to usable (12-16%MC) before July fourth 2016. Then I will refill those modules with standing green to see if I can get that dry before freeze up. If I can process two crops per year in my kilns I'll be selling seasoned wood when prices are good to re-coup my investment, and later sell off half my kiln modules to get yard space back and upgrade my boat. On paper it is _possible_ , but it looks like the window to unload the kilns and refill them is really short, less than a week.

The week between summer solstice and July fourth is a really bad time to sell seasoned firewood, price is as low as it goes for seasoned wood. I don't have a vapor tight shed that will hold 7-8 cords of seasoned wood, but it is on the event horizon; I have a written plan and cost estimate to share with the wife if I get the opportunity.

In the summer when the stove is idle I like to stroll around my woodpile in a pith helmet with a gin and tonic in one hand and a riding crop in the other
;lol;lol;lol
First giggle of the morning. Thanks for that literary gem.

Reactions: KenLockett
Come on I have been commercially solar kiln drying logs for over 5 years and have never had any examples of case hardened logs. Where on earth are you drying these logs if you think you can get them case hardened in the sahara desert.

Did a little research online. Read some university and forestry department papers on it. All I found was about stress in the wood, not one word about it affecting drying times.

I think it's a problem that does not exist.

Last edited:
Got some work done yesterday.

Basic floor framing, 2x4 Pressure treated, 42x96 inch box, cross pieces on 16 inch centers.

floorframe.JPG

Above the framing, a layer of water impermeable plastic, and then a layer of 23/32 CDX plywood. I think 1/2 plywood might be enough, but it was only a couple bucks more for the 23/32...

floorlayers.JPG

Once everything was fastened down and trimmed up, I intentionally left plenty of slack in the plastic layer. +55dF in the garage, plenty colder outdoors. Bottom view, completed floor:

floorbottom.JPG

Not plannign to repost these over and over, 1 floor down, six to go...

For the modules with the long axis North South like this one, the footers go onto the flooring this way:

NSfooters.JPG

And framed up outdoors it looks like this. Top of the ridgepole is 8'3" off the deck. I have it flat and level enough, but some trimming out to do before I can load it with cord wood...

done.JPG

Got a 4' width of wire fencing hanging from the top of the east side. Hanging fence on a ladder at -10dF is no fun. Have all the pieces I need to finish the first module in stock, except for the green cordwood.

I am using 2x3" rectangle steel fencing, vinyl covered, still have to put a layer on the west side of the center wall.

I was going to staple the fencing down, but all Home Depot had was galvanized staples, then I realized steel is a cat poison too, which is why I bough vinyl covered fencing in the first place, so I went with 1x2 batten and countersunk drywall screws...

eastfence.JPG

Have you considered how you are going to vent it?

Responding photographically to this prescient question from back in post seven... I hung a four foot course on the west side of the center wall tonight, establishing a central air column full width, full height and ~4 inches thick...

westside.JPG

One (five) more trip(s) up the ladder to get these on top of the ridge pole. Then two headache bars from the ground and load it up. I ordered wood today to fill it. Hopefully these will start going faster....

trusses.JPG

Got some more work done today.

First I smoothed up the PVC castings on my gable pieces:

smoooth.JPG

Then I got all those up on the ridgepole, no more ladder for now.

gableup.JPG

And I got what I am calling cheek pieces for now, they'll be &^$^& headache bars in no time I am sure. You might also think of them as the sill plates for the rafters....

cheeks.JPG

Couple more ventilation approaches.

2" PVC pipe, one ten foot piece cut into 8 pieces each 15" long. These should let air into the center column at the bottom.

EWbottomvent.JPG

And some regular shims at the bottom of the south end. When the south facing vertical wall gets plastic covered I intend for condensation running down the plastic to drain outside the module...

southvent.JPG

I was planning to channel Bach's toccata and fugue in D minor at this stage, Deedle-eee! dee! doo!

But no, the boys in the band ordered boat drinks, so Jimmy Buffet it is.

boatdrinks.JPG

My construction foreman stopped by soon after.

supervisor.JPG

Wife approval factor is very very high.

Reactions: Hasufel
The construction foreman is possibly more interested in dry cordwood than I am.

Forman.jpg

Reactions: Hasufel
I see the plan now - I was having a hard time visualizing it, looks good and I cant wait to see your results

Dang it. Torsion. I had this shimmed to within 1/4 bubble of level all around before I called it a day yesterday, but clearly the floor corner in the right foreground is low.

If I can put these on a reasonably immobile foundation and keep the not PT wood above the vapor barrier dry, I think a 15-20 year service life is achievable. A module moving around this much will likely not last three years I don't reckon. At ~$300 per I'll settle for a ten year service life expectancy.

I am going to get some 4x6 landscaping timbers today and read up on timber framing. I want to build some kind of a skid to set this empty module on to keep it from wracking until the ground thaws. Once the ground is thawed I can see about digging a rectangular hole and compacting gravel back up to grade level and flat, - for now I just need something temporary to keep this module from twisting itself apart.

torsion.JPG

Input invited. Something strong enough to not flex as the snow melts and the ground thaws. Empty module probably about 400#.

The way this is handled in a timber-framed structure is knee braces at each mortised corner. Very strong, but no more so than a plywood panel gusset (eg. 18" x 18" triangle in each corner). With both methods, the failure mode is the fasterners, whether that be nails thru plywood, or a wood peg thru a mortised knee brace.

Methinks no amount of structure is going to keep that thing straight, once loaded up with 5000 lb. of green wood, until you resolve the settling beneath.

I agree on "no amount of structure", but if I leave it empty maybe I can make some kind of hammock to hang it in. Looking at my empty boat trailer pretty hard too. Thanks for the input.

Oh, if you leave it empty, you could just cross-brace it with a few scrap 1x3's. Length has advantage over cross section, with fasteners still being the Achilles heel. Go full corner to corner, as much as you can, after drawing that low corner in square. Pipe clamps with temporary clamping calls screwed to structure, are your friend for squaring up a job like this. Over-draw clamps a full turn on the hand screw, tack on the diagonals, and release clamps.

Hmmm....once that thing is loaded up with several thousand pounds of firewood, it will morph to the supporting shape (ground or whatever). Keeping the unloaded version square is probably a mute point.

Status
Not open for further replies.