EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain man 2

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2017
S.C.Pa
Hello all.....The installation I have was done by a certified chimney n stove installer. When we first did the install I was concerned the chimney wasn't high enough (apparently the installer did).
Its only about 12-13 ft. with 1 slight bend at bottom.
I want to extend it 2 ft....need suggestion what I can do with what I have..it measures very close to 7" where the cap fastens......here's some pics.

EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY EXTENDING MY CHIMNEY
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forever Flex does make a Flue Extender that is 18" in length, but they say "it is not recommended for use with solid fuels". Because it is not Insulated, the gasses will cool down and create creosote.
To do it correct you would need to remove the top plate and rain cap, also any clay tile sticking up, install a transition plate then use a
6" Class A double wall insulated pipe, and cap. The existing Flex Liner will connect to the bottom of the transition plate, and the class A pipe will connect to the top of the transition plate, if you use the Ventis pipe from Olympia.

Forever Flex does make a Flue Extender that is 18" in length, but they say "it is not recommended for use with solid fuels". Because it is not Insulated, the gasses will cool down and create creosote.
To do it correct you would need to remove the top plate and rain cap, also any clay tile sticking up, install a transition plate then use a
6" Class A double wall insulated pipe, and cap. The existing Flex Liner will connect to the bottom of the transition plate, and the class A pipe will connect to the top of the transition plate, if you use the Ventis pipe from Olympia.
Thanks for what my options are....ill give it some thought......

Reactions: mountain man 2