F-500 in need of love.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 25, 2013
usa
I have an opportunity to purchase a neglected F-500.
I know nothing about it, as I haven't seen it yet.
I know it's difficult to put a number on something with such little information, but how much do you think this is worth?

My plan is to refinish it and give it to my cousin. (I already own a f500 purchased new in 2016)
Does this rust look repairable? Wire wheel and paint? Stove polish?

Appreciate this forum and all its members. Thanks for the discussion!

signal-2023-10-30-16-22-24-540-2.jpg signal-2023-10-30-16-22-24-540-1.jpg signal-2023-10-30-16-22-24-540.jpg

I have an opportunity to purchase a neglected F-500.
I know nothing about it, as I haven't seen it yet.
I know it's difficult to put a number on something with such little information, but how much do you think this is worth?

My plan is to refinish it and give it to my cousin. (I already own a f500 purchased new in 2016)
Does this rust look repairable? Wire wheel and paint? Stove polish?

Appreciate this forum and all its members. Thanks for the discussion!

View attachment 317717 View attachment 317718 View attachment 317719
$200 max. The rust isn't a big deal but it should be completely disassembled cleaned up recemented then painted.

IMHO, check it carefully for cracks/missing pieces and get it sandblasted.

Do not use stove polish, it causes more problems than it solves.

It will need a bunch of parts like a leg, knobs, gaskets, and maybe some inside parts too. Besides exterior cracks, look for any cracks in the base around the grate corners. Figure it will take ~500 to renovate into a nice and safe stove.