F500 junk 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ukie

Jan 29, 2023
Stupid me just downgraded from Dutchwest to garbage Jotul f500 v3 in November 2022. After doing proper seasoning this stove would not shut up. Clink cklink clink bang bang clink.... 24hrs. Can't sleep. My dealer Wood Heat in Flemington and in PA is useless, I can't get them over to fix. Idiot service manager ater 2 weeks, 3 voicemails with my number and when he accidently picked up the phone after multiple trasfers and said: I was just about to call you.. and told me that he would call right back and that he dont usually service wood stoves... 2 weeks later after no calls I went back to the store where I bought it from and they sceduled service appointment for early afternoon several days later...... 3.30 pm nobody here. Called service and they told that technician called out and they were trying to call me 3 times as of 8am!!! Oops moron manager said he had wrong number and it's not his fault, seriously? Called Jotul they told me to contact dealer, they don't fix anything. $4500 LEMON. Filing lawsuit. Stay away from both! Wish i can upload video.

My F 500 Eco does that, also.
it does not bother me.
From the type of noise I understand if it is cooling or heating

The exhaust on your car clicks as it expands and contracts too. Is that the only issue you’re having?

Stupid me just downgraded from Dutchwest to garbage Jotul f500 v3 in November 2022. After doing proper seasoning this stove would not shut up. Clink cklink clink bang bang clink.... 24hrs. Can't sleep. My dealer Wood Heat in Flemington and in PA is useless, I can't get them over to fix. Idiot service manager ater 2 weeks, 3 voicemails with my number and when he accidently picked up the phone after multiple trasfers and said: I was just about to call you.. and told me that he would call right back and that he dont usually service wood stoves... 2 weeks later after no calls I went back to the store where I bought it from and they sceduled service appointment for early afternoon several days later...... 3.30 pm nobody here. Called service and they told that technician called out and they were trying to call me 3 times as of 8am!!! Oops moron manager said he had wrong number and it's not his fault, seriously? Called Jotul they told me to contact dealer, they don't fix anything. $4500 LEMON. Filing lawsuit. Stay away from both! Wish i can upload video.
we are very dissappointed with our F500 V3 purchased 2020. Cat crumbles each year. first year stove burned great just disappointed in the cat flimsyness, and the warranty is not really 20 yrs. dealer and Jotul claiming we over fired stove not true, now since dec, stove doesnt have draft as it did. we cleaned everything, and only burn seasoned wood so that is not issue. cannot even start a fire, smoke and flames shoot out of door.
contacted dealer, no help, contacted Jotul tech they never returned my call. now emailed Jotul exec and still await reply

Alright, it sounds like lots of things are happening, so let's break it down. Maybe we can figure out how to solve them.

Lets start with your wood. What does seasoned wood mean to you? How long has it been cut/split/stacked? Have you tested it with a moisture meter?

Can you explain your chimney? What is it made of? Does it go straight up from the stove? Are there any bends? What diameter is it? How tall is it? When was it last cleaned?

Alright, it sounds like lots of things are happening, so let's break it down. Maybe we can figure out how to solve them.

Lets start with your wood. What does seasoned wood mean to you? How long has it been cut/split/stacked? Have you tested it with a moisture meter?

Can you explain your chimney? What is it made of? Does it go straight up from the stove? Are there any bends? What diameter is it? How tall is it? When was it last cleaned?
our wood is very seasoned. chimney is clean. the issue has to be the stove first 2 seasons other than cat falling apart, stove ran fine 3rd season not good.

Ok, there's a reason why your cat keeps falling apart and you are having trouble with your stove. We need to be able to rule things out. Let's start with your wood and how your chimney is made. Your idea of very well seasoned and mine may be very different, or maybe its not. It is a very common reason for people having issues with their stove. The next is the chimney, and there's a lot more to it than whether its clean or not.

we are very dissappointed with our F500 V3 purchased 2020. Cat crumbles each year. first year stove burned great just disappointed in the cat flimsyness, and the warranty is not really 20 yrs. dealer and Jotul claiming we over fired stove not true, now since dec, stove doesnt have draft as it did. we cleaned everything, and only burn seasoned wood so that is not issue. cannot even start a fire, smoke and flames shoot out of door.
contacted dealer, no help, contacted Jotul tech they never returned my call. now emailed Jotul exec and still await reply
How tall is the chimney?

Ok, there's a reason why your cat keeps falling apart and you are having trouble with your stove. We need to be able to rule things out. Let's start with your wood and how your chimney is made. Your idea of very well seasoned and mine may be very different, or maybe its not. It is a very common reason for people having issues with their stove. The next is the chimney, and there's a lot more to it than whether its clean or not.
we clean the pipe from the basement, pipe is clean wood is VERY SEASONED. the stove worked fine first 2 years nothing changed with the chimney design. this is 3rd season, and 2nd cat. I think it is a cat problem, it clogs up too fast. not user friendly and manual suggestion to use a brush and shop vac doesnt seem to clean up well

Can you quantify "very seasoned"?

How tall is the chimney?

Those questions matter.

We seem to be in a cycle here. You aren't telling us what we need to know. And at least 1 thing did change since your first 2 seasons. You are burning different wood.

Sometimes people just want to vent, and feel taken. It's painful to spend a TON of money only to realize you have something that is not what it was marketed to be, or worse.
The #1 pinned post here should be something like "So you think your newstove is defective?!"
And cover:
1. MC <20%...and how to test.
2. Draft, lengthy - elbows - elevation, show the chart, and the fact that it DOESNT MATTER if your old stove worked well. How to test draft.
3. Burning methods. (top down fire to start)
4. Probes/Meters to use.

I treat my stove like a new puppy. I can't leave it along too long or it's going to do something bad. But as long as I provide constant attention to it, I'll probably be ok. And if I run it well during the day I can easily get an overnight burn that provides long lasting heat along with clear glass. But if I dont follow this rule, I will pay.

Reactions: bigealta
Then maybe leave a (negative) review in the right place on this website rather than start a thread that makes people want to help nail the cause of the problem so it can be mitigated, if possible....

our wood is seasoned. the problem is the stove
These stoves certainly can be problematic. But if you give us better info we can certainly help you learn to work with it better.

our wood is seasoned. the problem is the stove
Can you explain what it means for you if wood is seasoned.

You claim it's the stove. That is possible. But it's not possible to conclude that based on the info provided so far.

These stoves certainly can be problematic. But if you give us better info we can certainly help you learn to work with it better.
what are your suggestions, we have a double pipe, we have a 2 story house, stove on first floor we clean pipe from basement, we checked draft from basement pipe when we took the cover off, draft there, we have the chimney pipe high up over the roof pitch. so what do you suggest. we are using always seasoned wood we season ourselves at least 2 yrs hardwood. so what are your suggestions? I think its a cat problem gets clogged up after one use. and no easy way to clear it

You may have too much draft, sucking ashes into the cat.

what are your suggestions, we have a double pipe, we have a 2 story house, stove on first floor we clean pipe from basement, we checked draft from basement pipe when we took the cover off, draft there, we have the chimney pipe high up over the roof pitch. so what do you suggest. we are using always seasoned wood we season ourselves at least 2 yrs hardwood. so what are your suggestions? I think its a cat problem gets clogged up after one use. and no easy way to clear it
Was your draft within spec when you measured it? What was you procedure for measuring it? What moisture content is your wood at?

We can't really advise well without knowing details

Ok, now we can start figuring this out. Depending on the species of wood and how it is stored, it still may not season in 2 years. For instance, oak, hard maple, and locust can take 3.

Is your chimney double wall off the stove and then going into a lined chimney? Is the liner insulated? These are details that can affect draft. At the moment it sounds like there may be too much.

Then maybe leave a (negative) review in the right place on this website rather than start a thread that makes people want to help nail the cause of the problem so it can be mitigated, if possible....
Actually, I'd rather *not* have someone write a review (or give a rating) if they can't be bothered to answer simple questions from people who are trying to help.

Actually, I'd rather *not* have someone write a review (or give a rating) if they can't be bothered to answer simple questions from people who are trying to help.
A crap experience is a crap experience.
A stove shouldn't be rocket science.
Maybe marketing met reality and the guy/gal wants to vent.
That's still a review. A quite valid one imo.

A crap experience is a crap experience.
A stove shouldn't be rocket science.
Maybe marketing met reality and the guy/gal wants to vent.
That's still a review. A quite valid one imo.
If someone says negative things about a product, but the negative experience is not the fault of the product (they used it incorrectly, for example), then that is not useful information for someone interested in that product. "Valid" is not the issue, I think, and reading somebody's venting of their irritation does not help me figure out if the product itself is bad.

Reactions: stoveliker
If someone says negative things about a product, but the negative experience is not the fault of the product (they used it incorrectly, for example), then that is not useful information for someone interested in that product. "Valid" is not the issue, I think, and reading somebody's venting of their irritation does not help me figure out if the product itself is bad.
Ha. Ok.