Fall CAT Examination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North of 60

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2007
Yukon Canada
Took it off idle and shut er down to give it the yearly inspection. Temps finally got above 13C this weekend. Was away most the summer durring our warm spell. 1st pic is the 3yr old cat. 2nd is the ss flame shield. 3rd is a former pic with it lit off. Cleaned chimney, maintenance done. Ready for another 8 to 10 months of continuous use.

Attachments

• 3yrcat.jpg
    3yrcat.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 336
  • catsshtsheild.jpg
    catsshtsheild.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 324
  • #1 setting.jpg
    #1 setting.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 364
I inspect my cat for fleas and worms. :)

Your climate goes way beyond 24/7 burning. It's almost 365/24 burning. Thanks for the pictures. We don't get many of the BK in action.

Your cat looks in great shape. It will be interesting to see how long your cat lasts with your long burning seasons. How much does the Blaze King cat cost? I'm guessing they are waranteed for 5 or 6 years.

When you have to "shut 'er down" at the beginning of Sept. so that you can inspect the stove, just so you can fire it back up!!!!!! Now THATS cold country.

I bow to you, in respect, sir.

Where are you from Nome??

Todd said:
Your cat looks in great shape. It will be interesting to see how long your cat lasts with your long burning seasons. How much does the Blaze King cat cost? I'm guessing they are warranted for 5 or 6 years.

Im not sure of the replacement cost but I suspect $160 to $260. That would be OK by me just for the hassle free burning
that the CAT and the auto T-stat create. Just get the stove up to temp/active zone once, then set it and forget it. The stove
has saved me enough wood each year to pay for the CAT many times over even if I got only three years out of it. 5 years is
the warranty ,prorated I think. The key I say is dry wood only, witch is the only way really to burn properly in any stove.
Idont think Id have to sell you on the CAT as your Fireview has one doesnt it? How many birthdays has yours had?
N of 60

Jags said:
When you have to "shut 'er down" at the beginning of Sept. so that you can inspect the stove, just so you can fire it back up!!!!!! Now THATS cold country.

I bow to you, in respect, sir.

Where are you from Nome??

JAGS our summer hasn't been a good one this year. Quite a bit of the mountain peaks still had snow throughout the summer till fall now with new snow added in the last week. End of May to the end of August is usually the down time in the stove. Every month this year a fire has been lit more than once. I was gone from mid July to 1st week of August this year and my wife used the furnace a few times in the mornings while I was away. :sick: I still love this county/climate dearly compared to Vancover B.C. where I was originally from. Just got too populated and had no time to go access the places I wanted to be to enjoy my outdoor activities.
There wasn't a place you couldn't find a McDonalds wrapper or a Tim Hortins cup any more unless you really made an effort.
Iam south of Nome but we do share similar temps.
N of 60

Attachments

• Fall 06.jpg
    Fall 06.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 267
I know two people with Blaze Kings and they both love them. Didn't pass the wife test so I bought a T6 instead (going in the living room).

Was going to ride up your way this summer and head down towards Atlin. Sounds like weather wise I picked a good year not to do it.
We have snow on the mountain tops and that is way too early around here.

Best of luck.

My previous stove passed the wife test but it didnt pass mine after a short period of use. The T-6 has the best of both worlds as
it has the elegant look of the cast but no maintenance issues with the seams. Since PE has been using the EBT system now they seam to have a better control than other non-cat stoves up here that burn pine and spruce. Most other non-cats end up getting runaway during the burn when they stuff them full, which is what we all do to get long burn times. The EBT has been successful
over coming this as my neighbor has the summit with EBT and Ive enjoyed witnessing this over a few Beers and some shots
of Gibsons Finest. You will be able to shut your stove right down after the magic temp and the EBT will at least take over to maintain a clean /safe hot burn and I mean HOT but no unpredictable runaways that make you stay up in the night until it peaks
like my previous stove did. Happy un-crating and safe burning. N of 60

Status
Not open for further replies.