Falling experts, how would you handle this hanger??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
When a chain snaps it is a projectile! Why you think it snap tensil or pull what makes it snap. (dont have to be stupid to break a chain or rope).......If you have 5/8 bull line that should be in the 18,000 tensile strength why would you use anything Else. Never see a tree company of any kind with a bag of chain. Oh and darn sure be pretty silly carrying 150 foot of chain...Just saying!

When a rope stretches, most of that stretch is temporary. Rope will snap back to roughly its original length. Chain links are not nearly as elastic as rope fibers. When a chain stretches, most of that energy goes into permanetly deforming the metal links. Therefore there is a lot less energy stored in that chain at its breaking point.

I've never seen 3/8 chain break, but whenever I've seen lighter duty chain snap its never gone more than a few feet. When two fairly inelastic objects (say a tractor hitch and a big rock) are joined by a fairly inelastic chain I've just heard a "ping", the chain drops, and the two things are no longer connected. On the other hand I've seen rope really fly when it breaks.

I have Yale XTC which is 10k break, 2k WLL. 3/8 G70 chain is 26k break, 6.6k WLL. I use the rope for pulling a tree over, because I actually want a little stretch there and there's no way I want to pull 3/8 chain way the hell up in a tree. I use chain for SLOWLY pulling out stumps, rocks, etc with a 4000lb pickup. I'm pretty confident the tires will slip first, then the U-joints will destroy themselves, THEN I'll worry about the chain breaking. :)

(I'm convinced that rope is slightly more dangerous than chain. But the one that actually scares me is wire rope. The mass of chain + the elasticity of rope.)

KarlP said:
smokinjay said:
When a chain snaps it is a projectile! Why you think it snap tensil or pull what makes it snap. (dont have to be stupid to break a chain or rope).......If you have 5/8 bull line that should be in the 18,000 tensile strength why would you use anything Else. Never see a tree company of any kind with a bag of chain. Oh and darn sure be pretty silly carrying 150 foot of chain...Just saying!

When a rope stretches, most of that stretch is temporary. Rope will snap back to roughly its original length. Chain links are not nearly as elastic as rope fibers. When a chain stretches, most of that energy goes into permanetly deforming the metal links. Therefore there is a lot less energy stored in that chain at its breaking point.

I've never seen 3/8 chain break, but whenever I've seen lighter duty chain snap its never gone more than a few feet. When two fairly inelastic objects (say a tractor hitch and a big rock) are joined by a fairly inelastic chain I've just heard a "ping", the chain drops, and the two things are no longer connected. On the other hand I've seen rope really fly when it breaks.

I have Yale XTC which is 10k break, 2k WLL. 3/8 G70 chain is 26k break, 6.6k WLL. I use the rope for pulling a tree over, because I actually want a little stretch there and there's no way I want to pull 3/8 chain way the hell up in a tree. I use chain for SLOWLY pulling out stumps, rocks, etc with a 4000lb pickup. I'm pretty confident the tires will slip first, then the U-joints will destroy themselves, THEN I'll worry about the chain breaking. :)

(I'm convinced that rope is slightly more dangerous than chain. But the one that actually scares me is wire rope. The mass of chain + the elasticity of rope.)

I use rope and a winch. Avaition wire 3/8 and around a 175 foot away and as slow as the winch is (hand crank 5 k) that feeds through the front rails of the trailer there is no-way in hell anything going to reach you. To have that kinda lenth and control for tree work a chain is not going to be very user friendly.

I did one similiar to that with the help of the Bobcat last week. I pushed several trees over and one landed in the crotch of a tree like that. It does not look like you can really push or pull that from either side and have it come down, as the crotch is holding it. I cut the trunk off the stump and let it drop to the ground. From there hooked up a chain to the Bobcat and pulled it backwards off the tree, no problem. I would try to push or pull it off the stump, then pull it backwards. I could see where cutting it might be a little scary, realistically the Y is going to hold it on the tree and it is just going to drop to the ground, but no sense taking chances.

Woody Stover said:
The trunk of this Pignut is rotted through, not much appears to be holding it on the stump. I'm wondering how you guys would safely handle this a) if you had any equipment you wanted at your disposal and b) if you had what I have to use which is a Ford 8N tractor, fairly long chain, come-along winch. I thought maybe hook the chain around the trunk and pull it off the stump with the tractor, but what if the trunk rides the stump, and shoots out toward the tractor?!! :grrr:

As you can see, the tree is "crotched," so I guess that'll keep it coming straight down the trunk of the tree it's hung up in.
There is a tree to hook something to maybe 100' from the stump...

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/004-2.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/002-2.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/001-7.jpg
2 step process. First tie the leaner above the break to the leaned on tree (to be sure it stays where it should.
Then cut below the break at 180 degrees to prevent it binding up.
Then remove the first tie and tie above the cut (near the end) with a strong strap and pull it rearwards.

smokinjay said:
mayhem said:
smokinjay said:
150 hank of bull rope! You can drop a truck over a cliff and if your anchor good it will hold..............

What's a hank? Is this like a face cord?

I'd say rope it and go around the closest sturdy tree and pull it with the tractor. Won't take too much pull to get it off that rotten stump and lay it down.

Hank Is on piece of rope. Bull rope is used mainly for dropping big chunks of wood out of a tree to lower it to safety. My 9/16 inch bull line is rated at 12,500 tensile strength.

OK, so then what does the 150 indicate? Length in feet? Just not sure I understand why its necessary to say 150 hank of rope when you mean 150 feet of rope. Is it because someone is likely to tie 9 lengths of rope together to make the 150 feet? If you mean he should use 150 feet of rope then we're in agreement here.

KarlP said:
smokinjay said:

I've seen 3/8 chain break several times (ask just about any farmer or excavator). We had a JD4450 stuck and tried pulling it out with a JD4660 4x4. The 3/8 lasted all of 5 seconds. Ended up getting some cable.

It does snap back. I don't get anywhere near chain when I think it has a chance of breaking. I would hate to think of what it would do to a man if he took a direct hit. Scary stuff.

mayhem said:
smokinjay said:
mayhem said:
smokinjay said:
150 hank of bull rope! You can drop a truck over a cliff and if your anchor good it will hold..............

What's a hank? Is this like a face cord?

I'd say rope it and go around the closest sturdy tree and pull it with the tractor. Won't take too much pull to get it off that rotten stump and lay it down.

Hank Is on piece of rope. Bull rope is used mainly for dropping big chunks of wood out of a tree to lower it to safety. My 9/16 inch bull line is rated at 12,500 tensile strength.

OK, so then what does the 150 indicate? Length in feet? Just not sure I understand why its necessary to say 150 hank of rope when you mean 150 feet of rope. Is it because someone is likely to tie 9 lengths of rope together to make the 150 feet? If you mean he should use 150 feet of rope then we're in agreement here.

Well Lets say this Because I can! lol Its normal when I rig anything to be that far away or at the very least as far as I can get!

So 150 hank means 150 feet of unbroken rope then, right?

I'm not questioning your logic, just questioning my understanding of what you're saying becasue the terms you're using are unfamiliar.

mayhem said:
So 150 hank means 150 feet of unbroken rope then, right?

I'm not questioning your logic, just questioning my understanding of what you're saying becasue the terms you're using are unfamiliar.

Yes hank would be one piece never splice. You can splice pieces together but this can cause tensile strength to be less.

We got this thing down yesterday. Whew! We used what the owner had, a couple of long 3/8" chains.
First I tried notching it to pull downhill, away from the tree that it was hung in. There was actually a solid core underneath all that rot. But the 9N couldn't budge it. Then I started notching in East-West. I got back away from it and turned off the saw. I heard a slight cracking sound every 10 seconds or so. After several minutes, it broke off the stump... and buried about 2' into the soft ground. I could then reach the branch lower on the trunk that wasn't part of the crotch. I cut that off and the top of the branch hit first, tossing the limb back towards me, but I was out of the way. :bug: Then we made another notch at 90* to the trunk and pulled it off the embedded end. This time it only rammed itself into the soil about a foot or so. We were then able to chain up to the trunk and pull straight away from the other tree. It slid down the crotch, with the base moving about 15'. This whole thing was making me very nervous; Glad to get it down without any major mishaps. I cut up one of the limbs. It had been a while since I'd cut any Pignut; I'd kind of forgotten how good that stuff smells. Mmmmm!

Glad you got that out without big problems Woody. That is a bit scary how you describe getting it down! Enjoy the wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Glad you got that out without big problems Woody. That is a bit scary how you describe getting it down! Enjoy the wood.

+1

Something like that does get the heart rate up!
The relief, once the tree is on the ground, is a treat. Nice job, and no one got hurt - that's great!

It really happened, no kidding! Here's the pics! Might have gotten some better ones but I was wearing flip-flops, and the brush is Poison Ivy and tick-infested. >:-(
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/Pigsb001.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/Pigsb002.jpg

Here's the rest of the Pin Oak I need to get outta there.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/Pinsb003.jpg

I'm gonna go mess with some wood at SIL's now. Yes, it's 92* but the humidity is probably 45% or lower. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.