Fast ticking noise that starts slow and increases and decreases with fan speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodchipper1

Nov 1, 2023
coastal nc
Almost 95% sure my combustion blower is out of balance or going bad, but I thought I would see if anyone else had this same noise. And if it is the blower is there a fix for it? I can hear the tick when the blower starts up, it goes really slow and as the rpm increase so does the tick and the same when the blower fan slows down. Would love a easy fix, but prepared for the worst. Any thoughts? Is it a pain to get to the blower to inspect it and what would you look for?

C

If the noise only happens when the blower is on than that sounds like the problem. I'd pull the blower and see if something got sucked into it and can be removed with a pic or vacuum. Wiring it up to an old lamp or power cord will help you find the source of the noise if its not immediately obvious on visual inspection.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Still learning about the parts to this stove, Just found out there is a convection and combustion blower, Not sure what each of these blower jobs are, but the noise starts with the blower that comes on about 10min after start up and blows hot air from the front of stove and fills the living room with warm air.

Ok, pellet stove. I'll move this thread over to the pellet area and you'll get better informed answers.

Sounds like you distribution fan, if you can access it, clean the fins with a toothbrush, and spin it by hand