Faux log repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use clear RTV silicone & a couple of 3" coarse thread drywall screws...
I'll admit, tho, that the results are less than spectacular...
They'll hold up as long as you don't hafta move em too much...
YMMV

Need to be a fire rated adhesive.
Sorry never heard it done.

Eric

drywall screws and Rutland furnace cement. works well and is 1400 F rated. run the screws into the log section and let them go in about a quarter inch deep at the head , then fill above the screw heads with the rutland (as well as the two sides of the broken piece. it'll work fine) , but it will not be as strong as the origional was before it broke and it wil not be as pretty unless the logs are already gray in color.

I drilled a hole in each end using a ceramic drill bit. I cut the head off a long nail that was a little smaller in diameter than the drilled hole. I filled each hole and the two contacting surfaces with black furnace cement (from Home Depot), stuck the nail in, aligned the pieces, and stood the log upright to cure for several days. It's lasted the season and seems like a very strong bond.
Mike -

I'd say don't bother. My log set was more trouble than it was worth. Pain in the a$$ when you go to clean the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.