Favorite Seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
We’re from all different areas of the country and have different tastes. What’s your favorite seasoning and what do you use it on?

Just before Covid lockdown I was on a family vacation to Savannah, GA. In a strip mall shop I saw Slap Ya Mamma seasoning. I giggled at the name, figured why not, and bought a can. In the next store, while the wife and kid were shopping, I was looking at the can and the shopkeeper came up to me and started raving about how much she loved it. Shocked that I may have actually bought something tasty I couldn’t wait to try it. She was right. We’ve used it on almost everything. It goes well on burgers, chicken, fish and pork. It’s a staple on sweet potato fries and regular fries, etc. I’m not sure all of what it’s been used on.

Pics are of the new can we had in the pantry. I figured it’s better advertising than the nearly empty, dirty, grease splattered one that’s currently being rotated out.

So what do you use?

F7B17969-3016-4388-A15B-DF86B30456BF.jpeg 45169280-23E5-4D40-827C-D2D592398A7A.jpeg

And for hot sauce, Valentina is my favorite. I like the less hot version better, but was given an extra hot version in a large bottle, lol. Sigh, only 1/3 of the bottle left, a few drops at a time!

And you get a curious golden retriever nose as a bonus!

image.jpg

Reactions: torpesco
I’ve been using SYM for quite a few years. They have a hot version as well. Used for ribs as a base layer for rubs. A little goes a long way. image.jpg

When I lived in NE Wisconsin for a year or so, the local bars had some sort of horseradish mustard. That stuff had a major kick, it would clean out my sinus's. I looked around for store bought versions and never found any. There are various commercial preparations called bar mustard but they didnt come close.

I find a lot of various seasonings have a hefty dose of MSG, Goya Sason which seems to be required for Mexican cooking seem to be mostly MSG.

I use a lot of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, it does not have MSG but it does have some anchovies in it that has the Unami taste that MSG has.

Look at almost every Frito Lay product and its loaded with MSG and additives that make the MSG more available to the taste buds. Most people are "wired" for MSG as the Unami taste has its own special tastebuds.

Just put in an order for Slap Ya Mama. Sounds tasty. We have been making something like it using garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

We were looking for authentic Sichuan chili oil and ended up trying Fly by Jing products. They used to only be available purchased direct but it looks like they are now selling on Amazon. The Mala Spice Mix has been a repeat favorite. The products are pricey so we wait for special sales like 2 for 1 offers before buying. A little goes a long way.
Amazon product ASIN B08ZZG2LQ6

I like Maya Kaimal spicy Ketchup. It is a little spicy, has no High-fructose corn syrup, and has an Indian flavor. It is great on grilled cheese sandwiches.

maya kaimal spicy ketchup

Spic Ketchup.jpg

Reactions: begreen
Onion and garlic dry rub from the late Karen Putman's bbq book.

Or just sea salt.

We like Jerk seasoning on occasion. Reminds us of being on vacation in the Caribbean.

This is the best we have found so far:
1650143667632.png

Great for everything from steaks, eggs, to stews. When I wonder what is missing, I just add this:

1650147078694.png

Reactions: Prof
It's not spicy, but this is my wife's favorite seasoning for salads, fresh garden veggies and cooked vegetables too. She likes it so much that we buy it a big 5# container and she sends some to her sisters.

spike.jpg

We’re from all different areas of the country and have different tastes. What’s your favorite seasoning and what do you use it on?

Just before Covid lockdown I was on a family vacation to Savannah, GA. In a strip mall shop I saw Slap Ya Mamma seasoning. I giggled at the name, figured why not, and bought a can. In the next store, while the wife and kid were shopping, I was looking at the can and the shopkeeper came up to me and started raving about how much she loved it. Shocked that I may have actually bought something tasty I couldn’t wait to try it. She was right. We’ve used it on almost everything. It goes well on burgers, chicken, fish and pork. It’s a staple on sweet potato fries and regular fries, etc. I’m not sure all of what it’s been used on.

Pics are of the new can we had in the pantry. I figured it’s better advertising than the nearly empty, dirty, grease splattered one that’s currently being rotated out.

So what do you use?

View attachment 294784 View attachment 294785
I love Slap Ya Mama! Bought some during a trip to New Orleans. Wish I'd purchased a case.