Feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

referee38

Mar 27, 2011
Eastern Pa
does anybody change the feed rate on there stove for over night hours. I have a P-43 and right now I have it set at #4 is that a good number to have it set at?

ed

I burn BOTH my Harmans at about 3.5 & I NEVER change
the feed rate, whether I burn "stove" or "room" temp,
day or night...

#4 is the factory recommendation & that's what I use. I run in stove temp mode between #2 -#4 depending on how cold it is outside this gives me a warm cozy home and 24 - 30 hrs burn time / bag.

Depends on the pellets, I run mine on 6...Harmans will adjust down if the need for heat isnt there...but if you dont have it high enough,and it calls for more heat,then the feed rate set at 4 will act like a " upper limit" and wont allow more pellets in!
If you run a inferior pellet...you will see some un-burnt ones in your ash pan,then you will have to turn your feed rate down.

DAKSY said:
I burn BOTH my Harmans at about 3.5 & I NEVER change
the feed rate, whether I burn "stove" or "room" temp,
day or night...

I haven't set my feed rate higher than 2.5. The dealer said I shouldn't need to go any higher. I might have to try to set it to 3.5 and then forget it.

will711 said:
#4 is the factory recommendation & that's what I use. I run in stove temp mode between #2 -#4 depending on how cold it is outside this gives me a warm cozy home and 24 - 30 hrs burn time / bag.

Manual says set it to 4 by default, the sticker on the inside of the door on my P43 says 3 ..not sure why the discrepancy. #2 feed rate seems to be fine for me in stove temp, 1000sq feet total so I don't need a lot of BTU's. I don't think it cuts back the amount it feeds on a Harman, it just puts a limit on the maximum it will feed.

76brian said:
I don't think it cuts back the amount it feeds on a Harman, it just puts a limit on the maximum it will feed.

Correct. "Feed Rate" is kind of inaccurate as it implies that you can alter the speed that the pellets are pushed out. It's more like a max feed cycle time. In general, the setting corresponds to the max amount of time that pellets will be allowed to feed each minute. The number on the dial multiplied by 10 is the max number of seconds that the auger will feed in a given minute. So for example, a setting of "4" will only allow a cycle of 40 seconds (approximate) followed by a 20 second period of no feeding. However, the feed cycle will still be cut short if either the ESP probe is satisfied (in stove temp mode) or the room probe is satisfied (in room temp mode).

Once set per the procedure in the manual, there is no real need to adjust it.

I know I shouldn't but....we have been over this and over this and over this so much lately. Do a search for Harman feed rate and you will get all the info you need. Basically, follow the instructions in your owners manual and "set it and forget it"!!!

will711 said:

WHAT?! My record so far is 17 hours on a bag. That was in stove temp #1 and distribution blower on Low. I have just started testing out room temp and I think I can get longer burn times but that depends on outside temps.

I never did the test in the manual to set the feed rate but based on a lot of recommendations here I set it to 4 and haven't changed it. So far so good I think.

mepellet said:
will711 said:

WHAT?! My record so far is 17 hours on a bag. That was in stove temp #1 and distribution blower on Low. I have just started testing out room temp and I think I can get longer burn times but that depends on outside temps.

I never did the test in the manual to set the feed rate but based on a lot of recommendations here I set it to 4 and haven't changed it. So far so good I think.

Don't know what to tell you . This is no BS I'm heating 1st floor 650 sq ft 70* + 2nd floor 850 sq ft master bedroom over garage 67*. My home is well insulated R19 walls R38 ceilings tyveck wrap anderson windows. Run the blower on low also and #4 stove temp is highest I've run. I burn 1 bag a day. Maybe the p61 is hungrier than my Accentra?

will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711 said:

Don't know what to tell you . This is no BS I'm heating 1st floor 650 sq ft 70* + 2nd floor 850 sq ft master bedroom over garage 67*. My home is well insulated R19 walls R38 ceilings tyveck wrap anderson windows. Run the blower on low also and #4 stove temp is highest I've run. I burn 1 bag a day. Maybe the p61 is hungrier than my Accentra?

I believe you. Im jealous! Yea I have about 2200 sf and only r13 at best in the walls and not enough in the attic. Attic is this springs project I think. Windows are all new paradigm (21 windows weren't cheap!) Probably doesn't help that the room the stove is in is slab on grade and not sure if there is any insulation down there....

jp0469 said:
76brian said:
I don't think it cuts back the amount it feeds on a Harman, it just puts a limit on the maximum it will feed.

Correct. "Feed Rate" is kind of inaccurate as it implies that you can alter the speed that the pellets are pushed out. It's more like a max feed cycle time. In general, the setting corresponds to the max amount of time that pellets will be allowed to feed each minute. The number on the dial multiplied by 10 is the max number of seconds that the auger will feed in a given minute. So for example, a setting of "4" will only allow a cycle of 40 seconds (approximate) followed by a 20 second period of no feeding. However, the feed cycle will still be cut short if either the ESP probe is satisfied (in stove temp mode) or the room probe is satisfied (in room temp mode).

Once set per the procedure in the manual, there is no real need to adjust it.

Nice explanation! Feed rate can be pellet dependent, so setting per the manual is recommended if you change pellet brands. Also, feed rate should be lowered a bit if you start seeing too much smoke on high burn.

mepellet said:
will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711 said:

I believe you. Im jealous! Yea I have about 2200 sf and only r13 at best in the walls and not enough in the attic. Attic is this springs project I think. Windows are all new paradigm (21 windows weren't cheap!) Probably doesn't help that the room the stove is in is slab on grade and not sure if there is any insulation down there....

It's all good no worries my friend, thought you maybe heating a larger space than me. Insulation is the key, nice windows good choice.

will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711 said:

It's all good no worries my friend, thought you maybe heating a larger space than me. Insulation is the key, nice windows good choice.

My last fill went 36+ hours (40 lbs) with igniter switch set to manual, so the stove was running 24/7. Thermostat no less than 72. :)

lbcynya said:
will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711 said:
mepellet said:
will711" date="1324510254 said:

My last fill went 36+ hours (40 lbs) with igniter switch set to manual, so the stove was running 24/7. Thermostat no less than 72. :)

Awesome got'a love it

Harman rep says to set it as high as you can without overflowing the pot. The stove will only use as much as it needs. Basically a setting of 4 will allow the auger to run 40 secs out of a minute if it needs to to maintain the heat. I run mine on 5.5 - 6 and have no problem with overflow. I have let the house cool down to test the timing. With the stove cranking to get the house back up to temp the auger runs the exact seconds it is set for. When on 5 it runs for 50 seconds and shuts down for 10 seconds then restarts and runs another 50 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.